Author Topic: The plan for v20  (Read 46386 times)

I'm also wondering if Blockland is going to stay at v20, since everything from now on is probably just going to be added through small updates with the launcher.

Excellent.  Small updates are good.

However, I expect more add-ons to be disabled using this.

This looks great!  In addition to launching Blockland and all, what can we expect from this?  Will there be high-res icon support, or an add-on manager?  Can we change settings outside of the game?  If so, that will be amazing.

Think about what you are asking, for a second.
I realize this, but if it was a new engine more things could be done.

Every single add-on would need updating, that would be a HUGE project. Game changing.
Maybe so but it would also get rid of the stuffty add-ons like the ION Cannon, mini-nuke, and all the generic weapons being uploaded every day.

Every single add-on would need updating, that would be a HUGE project. Game changing.
Worth it.
I'm also wondering if Blockland is going to stay at v20, since everything from now on is probably just going to be added through small updates with the launcher.
But...We need to go to v25 because that's the default number...

v(x) is not a concise representation of the state blockland is in. it's just the build number

v21 will probably be the first small update, v22 the second, etcetera etcetera

Worth it.

i'm sorry, have you updated an add-on to a new engine before

I realize this, but if it was a new engine more things could be done.
Maybe so but it would also get rid of the stuffty add-ons like the ION Cannon, mini-nuke, and all the generic weapons being uploaded every day.

Badspot would have to script everything all over again.
And just because of a new engine, doesn't mean people won't stop making crappy Add-Ons, unless the engine adds limitations for some variables.

v(x) is not a concise representation of the state blockland is in. it's just the build number

v21 will probably be the first small update, v22 the second, etcetera etcetera

Ah, thank-you.

Badspot would have to script everything all over again.
And just because of a new engine, doesn't mean people won't stop making crappy Add-Ons, unless the engine adds limitations for some variables.
It won't stop them but at least it will put aside the ones we have already.

It won't stop them but at least it will put aside the ones we have already.

And it will put aside all the good ones as well.

i'm sorry, have you updated an add-on to a new engine before
Nope, but it will get rid of all the generic and overpowered add-ons (atleast for awhile), and a later version of the engine should look better.

Well I contacted a guy from torque and he said that if blockland updated to torque 3D then yes he would have to rewrite almost all of the code. I didn't really understand him after that but I think he said most add-ons wouldn't get destroyed unless that are massive amounts of code because some variables might change and the bigger they are the better chance of them getting broken.

Warning - while you were typing 4 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Wow

2 pages in a few minutes.

Heh, to think I was here when Page 2 was half-way done.

Glad to see that we'll be able to download updates much easier.

/yay

Now for V21 topics to blow up.