Poll

mgn

cactus
38 (52.1%)
death by merman
35 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Scenery's BATTLEMIX [SERVER OPEN]  (Read 52461 times)

it might be because i'm so used to orange x, but the new map kinda feels kind of cramped when more than 20 players join, no offense

i understand that the whole point of this randomizer thing is to be fast-paced and such, but it always feels i need some room to breathe without going back to my spawn

also some verticality would be nice if you get a chance to update the map

So you'd prefer the old map where there was a grand total of 3 ways to attack the enemy, on rarer occasions 4 and it was entirely flat except for a single tower?

Yes. I at least understood that map. You dont need 20+ ways to attack the enemy, that just makes the map feel cluttered and overcomplicated. See: Current Map for details.

what we were kinda going for with the map was to make the areas closer to the spawn have more barriers and stuff to protect you, but as you got farther out towards the central point it became more open

essentially we made it so there were multiple possible routes exiting the spawn so it would be a lot harder to get flat out spawn camped by the enemy team.

currently all 4 of us have split off to make our own individual maps so expect to see a ton of maps coming up soon.

how high is the water, brick wise?

how high is the water, brick wise?
it doesn't matter how high the water is brick-wise if you're making your own map, i have a system that loads in different environments when it loads in a map so you could provide your own environment if you wanted to by using the console command "saveEnvironment(%filelocation);". For instance, saveEnvironment("config/myEnvironment.txt"); will save it to "Blockland/config/myEnvironment.txt". if you want to have an environment made by youself, be sure to link the environment file along with the map.

I agree with Mr. Noßody on the map.

Yeah the new map is just too small for explosives rounds

long post, sorry

alright so, since flatflyer and i oversaw a lot of the building on the map, and since i've heard some really good reasons to change stuff, i'd like to ask whoever is interested in giving their opinion about eight significant parts of the map (as well as provide a little bit of my own opinion).

(click it for big)

1. these are the four main paths i wanted to lead into the center from the main spawn. i organized the foundation and set these paths from the start.
1A. this is the quick way through. it's intended to be fast but lead immediately into a wall or a location where you are easily spotted by the enemy.
1B. this is a primary route. since it's still slightly shorter than 1C and 1D, i added a small pool that wouldn't obstruct view, only to discourage people from taking that path every time.
1C. this is the second primary route. it's the most reasonable walking length overall so it's fairly convenient to walk across and provides a small amount of cover.
1D. this is the longest route and therefore intended to be the safest. it has a nicer incline on one side and a steeper incline on the other, so if you're walking this way, you should hopefully have the line of sight to have an advantage over any enemy up there. it also allows you to shoot any enemy trying to come up 1C.

2. i personally did not agree with the addition of these platforms which easily allow camping, but gyt encouraged us to expand the map and i couldn't think of anything at the time to fill the space, so facebot added them.

3. i added these blocks and instantly regretted it, i think these should be removed for sure.

4. i like the idea of this wall in general, but not so much of the hole through it. yet it's just not a good idea to have a complete block wall here or everyone may be taking 1A.

5. flatflyer added these islands. has anyone found these especially useful? he wanted them more as landing points for people flying around via rockets, to land on and make a quick run back to the center. i'm still skeptical to have them.

6. what about these central pillars? i like the look of them and they are fairly useful, but they could be thinner.

7. these L-shaped platforms are bugging me a lot. i think they should be half as tall and have a single ramp on them to make it easier to jump onto from path 1A. or remove it entirely? or shift it over?

8. i still like this water hole but some people have said it's surprisingly annoying. which... was the point, but regardless i'll ask if anyone thinks it should be in a bigger shape or not actually kill you but just be a nuisance.

THE GROUND. i really thought boost would have the flippin decals from the other map, which i wanted to use along all the main, light gray ground, but he didn't have it downloaded. i totally agree with mr. nobody on the business of colors mixing in, making it difficult to recognize walls.

i totally want to hear whatever you guys got real specifically to say about these parts; since the other guys are less interested in editing the current map and more interested in making new maps, i'd love to make some changes so the map could be used for a wider variety of games, battlemix as well as others.

It just seems if we went your way the only thing that will remain of the central area is a barren field which makes a team absolutely dominating the choke point a constant real possibility.

that hole in the floor is a loving menace

charles and i actually made changes addressing some issues that we saw in the map, such as the flag being /way/ to close to team spawns and the capture point actually being uncapturable. i can't take any pics right now though, so i'll just list the changes that i made

i thought having another way out of team spawn was going to be good, so charles built this route out of spawn. if you look at path 1a, you basicly have the new path, except it goes over the map a little instead of through this cave thing
another change is sealing the capture point in with some walls, so people had to get in there if they wanted to clear offf the point, so people didn't stay back and snipe
another change is moving the team flag spawns away from the team spawns, so you don't  have to camp the enemy team in order to get the flag

also, do you want me to apply the cp_orange textures to the map, fancypants?

edit: i forgot about two extra changes that i made:
Team bunkers are no longer so large
spawn points are fixed for big player fx of mode or whatever
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:46:55 AM by Gytyyhgfffff »

1) The four methods of dispersion from the spawn point seems excessive, especially since A is the most time effective. Usually during a fight everybody uses method A to leave spawn creating a massive choke point for people with explosive weapons to camp for days. If the point of exit B C and D were to add variety and attack method, A undermines all of that with accessibility.

2) All of these extra little details are out of place and are not normally useful for the high-speed combat that quake-like DM/TDMs command. Ive only ever seen them be used for people to hide in during elimination rounds.

3) I dont disagree with the boxes. They add a bit more cover and are useful for juking out attackers.

4) The wall in its idea is a good thing giving players "run-back time". It also assists on making exit methods B C and D more even. (exit A undermines all of that however) The hole going through it Ive never found useful and more times has just been in the way or inconvenient. It's mostly only used as a shortcut past the wall or a camping space during flag capture rounds.

5) I have never seen anyone make use of the islands. They are a neat idea, but having them in the open like that makes you a sitting duck. Anyone attempting to go there always dies.

6) The pillars Id say aren't enough cover to properly cap the area. People that make their way up on top of "the wall" mentioned in 4 are free to rain fire down on anyone trying to cap. In most cases, the first one to get the cap point is the one to win as camping the camp point is too easy.

7) I like your idea to lower the height on the L shaped platforms. All they accomplish now are being useful camping the exit A choke point.

8) Get rid of it. First time I fell in it I had no idea it was even there. Once you gain air off that ramp there's no turning back. Its a beginners trap that you dont need.

In addition:
- Please get the textures.
- The flag points in the Capture the Flag mode are too close to the spawn. Ive only ever seen people winning by kickback-flying. That shouldn't be a legit strat.
- During Big Mode matches players get stuck in the walls because spawn points are too close to them.
- I would suggest getting rid of exit A

Edit: Oh, I see some of the issues I came up with were addressed. And yes, to talk for Fancy: Please add the textures
(No offense Fancy)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:42:40 AM by Mr.Noßody »

I HAVE PURCHASED A BETTER SERVER SO HOPEFULLY THERE WON'T BE AS MUCH GHOSTING AND LAG

the only problem is that this server is sort of expensive for me. i'm going to set up donations so you can donate to keep the server running!
here are some of the things that you can get if you donate a certain amount of money (i haven't decided it yet as of now)

CUSTOMIZABLE HATS
because i can't model, the hat customization will be limited to changing the color of a hat of your choice. if you can model and want to provide your own model, you will be able to.
along with a hat, you will also get a custom trail, mounted anywhere on your player. so you could mount it to your body, your hat, your feet, ect.
you will also be able to have a light on your player with any color that you choose.
you can have only 1 hat and 1 trail, or 1 trail only, or 2 trails. the hat and trail that you choose will only be accessible by you, so if you plan to donate, be sure that you choose a hat/trail that you like

i don't really like donations as they're currently implemented into some servers, so this donation thing is really sort of a last resort. i don't want to become a greedy ass like some people have probably become. at the current time, i only need an extra 5 bucks per month. that may not sound like much, but if i payed for the server like i have before i would run out of money completely in only a few months. expect donations to be coming soon!