Author Topic: PTG v3 Development  (Read 24005 times)

i'm waiting for this to all be an elaborate ruse

oh wow that's awesome

Five days pass, blocklanders everywhere are thirsty for a really cool new add-on to come out.
Someone spots [GSF]Ghost making a new topic in Add-ons on the Who's Online page.
Excitement is amongst everyone, a minute later a new topic with the name "GSF Procedural Terrain Generator v3" arrives.
Palms get sweaty. Knees get weak, arms get spaghetti'd. The contents of the topic are:

"lol jk"

He then gets banned by badspot an hour later.

nice work dude that water generation is soo sick

I've seen the future, and it's amazing!

Is it possible to make the streams be actual water bricks?

Five days pass, blocklanders everywhere are thirsty for a really cool new add-on to come out.
Someone spots [GSF]Ghost making a new topic in Add-ons on the Who's Online page.
Excitement is amongst everyone, a minute later a new topic with the name "GSF Procedural Terrain Generator v3" arrives.
Palms get sweaty. Knees get weak, arms get spaghetti'd. The contents of the topic are:

"lol jk"

He then gets banned by badspot an hour later.
Didn't consider getting banned... Looks like I actually have to release it. :/

oh wow that's awesome
nice work dude that water generation is soo sick
I've seen the future, and it's amazing!
Thanks guys! Only two other features left to add before I can start preparing the add-on for testing / release.

Is it possible to make the streams be actual water bricks?
It's certainly possible to add physical zones to the cubes and pillars. For the smaller bricks though, having that many zones being handled by the server might cause problems.

Floating Islands have been added! This is a separate feature that can be applied to any terrain type - whether for normal terrain, skylands and flatlands. It generates two different layers, in which you can customize the height for both. I'm also planning to make them work with the dynamic streams.

Only one feature left to add before I can start prepping the add-on for testing!

i wanna test
Great, so far I have 3 testers, including hodot. I'll post a new topic in modification discussion in a few days regarding the beta.

Those floating islands are awesome!

Fantastic, I'm eager to put this to use.

Can we also have a terrain option for nothing but floating islands?

Those floating islands are awesome!
Fantastic, I'm eager to put this to use.
Thanks guys!

Can we also have a terrain option for nothing but floating islands?
Sure, there will be an option for generating "Skylands" as a main terrain type, and of course you can enable smaller, floating islands in addition. You'll also be able to completely disable the terrain and just generate the islands as well, by applying certain settings.

"when you can't make maps, just generate them" -gsf ghost (not really)

still amazed at how well these things come out. definitely would like to see it ingame at some point, if nothing else just to explore the generated terrain. it looks like you've got it well set out so theres not much more to criticize it over.

"when you can't make maps, just generate them" -gsf ghost (not really)
That's kinda my philosophy lol. After maps were removed, the game just wasn't the same for me; maps gave the game a unique feel, and offered an interesting contrast to the brick-theme. Depending on how this add-on turns out though, I'm hoping it'll add a new experience to the game. Once I finish up this last feature and finalize some of the scripts, I'll be doing some early testing on my server, so you can definitely check it out.

Edit: Actually, I'll do some public testing tonight. So if anyone wants to check it out, feel free to join! I'll be testing infinite terrain.

Btw, making significant progress with the last feature! The final thing I want to add is the ability to load custom builds into the landscape, and I've just about finished the conversion script (which takes builds and transfers them to a format the generator can more easily reference). The script automatically converts the build to the current colorset, snaps the build to be centered around it's relative grid, and creates 3 other reference files which rotate the build. This way, it'll both load and rotate builds randomly throughout the terrain.

Here's some pics of a loaded build and the converted / snapped build side by side, and an example of how it rotates around the grid's centroid:

In addition to loading your own builds into the landscape, there will also a "pseudo-equator", that will allow you to set when certain biomes will start generating relative to the y-axis (i.e. you can set up desert biomes to generate closer to the y-axis, and arctic biomes to generate further away). You'll also be able to set up builds to be loaded relative to certain biomes. All of these features working together will reward exploration, instead of having everything generate where you spawn.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:50:10 PM by [GSF]Ghost »