Author Topic: a gal shot up the youtube headquarters  (Read 10179 times)

in the end its no more harmful or indicative of insensitivity as joking about the event as its happening. dont blow things outta proportion

calling him edgy is not really blowing anything out of proportion lol. that is exactly within proportion

oh egadsbut what if i were toho ho ho, delightfully devilish seymour
This just made my day

i dont think any of us here would defend all of youtubes practices, and we can all agree they had something coming to them, but that that something shouldnt have been a shooting
i still dont understand why people demonize a free service like youtube. they're not doing anything immoral or illegal by removing or demonetizing content, they're simply abiding by the decisions laid out to them by their source of income, which are ad companies and their marketing groups. when coke says they don't want their ad to be associated with a certain demographic, youtube has no choice but to follow through with that and demonetize videos associated with that demographic.

the fact that people are even witch-hunting a free service to begin with is already sad in of itself. theres literally no incentive for youtube to pay content creators whatsoever but they do it anyways. they dont owe some sort of debt to channel owners or anything. they are just clients using the free service

it has nothing to do about edginess, its about feeling like some form of vigilante justice happened, even though it went too far. i dont think any of us here would defend all of youtubes practices, and we can all agree they had something coming to them, but that that something shouldnt have been a shooting

mr nobody was just being honest about that part of himself that felt like they had it coming to them. hes not condoning the shooting outright, and i doubt hed ever legitimately support death as a punishment for exploitative corporate practices
I think it's possible to discuss youtube's policies and the shooting in the same space. Although we don't know the motive of the shooter yet (correct me if wrong), it is probably connected to youtube's unfavorable policy decisions. I think we all made that connection, so yeah there's no harm in discussing that. Problem is he just said "part of me is glad" and left it at that, no elaboration. it's like that religion thread a few weeks ago. Mr Nobody said something really inflammatory about religion without giving his reasons, people got pissed because it was an edgy thing to say, then he came back and finally elaborated on why he hates religion. If the guy gave some explanation for the things he said right off the bat, there probably wouldn't be an argument here. But if you say something utterly idiotic and refuse to provide context, no surprise, it will receive the appropriate responses.

theres literally no incentive for youtube to pay content creators whatsoever but they do it anyways.

if all the big content creators left would youtube be making even a fraction of the money they're making now

They literally pay content creators so that they make more money

it has nothing to do about edginess, its about feeling like some form of vigilante justice happened, even though it went too far. i dont think any of us here would defend all of youtubes practices, and we can all agree they had something coming to them, but that that something shouldnt have been a shooting

mr nobody was just being honest about that part of himself that felt like they had it coming to them. hes not condoning the shooting outright, and i doubt hed ever legitimately support death as a punishment for exploitative corporate practices
That's very rational Conan thank you for taking the time to post

if all the big content creators left would youtube be making even a fraction of the money they're making now
this is true but there's no real competition with youtube so big content creators have no reason to leave besides to make a point

They literally pay content creators so that they make more money
its basically mutualism but there's so many content creators that they can afford to cut support to like 20% of its content creator base and still make as much revenue. thats basically whats already happening, they're cutting support of more and more channels but its actually benefitting them because if they continue to support those channels then the ad money will stop coming in and everyone will suffer. sacrificing a couple thousand channels that are slightly insensitive just so a billion viewer-friendly channels can continue to exist is a great tradeoff for everyone except the channels getting cut out and the viewers that like those channels (there arent a lot)

in the end youtube is doing what benefits the most people including themselves, which is natural because they're a private business that provides free services. there has to be some sacrifice in order to keep the service and 90% of its clients operable. saying its ok to kill youtube staff because "muh favorite chanel got demonetitized >:(((" is insanely childish
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:16:27 PM by thegoodperry »

There’s no rationale to the intention and carrying out of trying to end lives. Especially over a free entertainment platform. There’s nothing Mr Nobody could say short of “the entire YouTube staff raped me” that rationalizes an attack on their lives.

I still dont understand why people demonize a free service like youtube. They're not doing anything immoral or illegal by removing or demonetizing content, they're simply abiding by the decisions laid out to them by their source of income, which are ad companies and their marketing groups. when coke says they don't want their ad to be associated with a certain demographic, youtube has no choice but to follow through with that and demonetize videos associated with that demographic.

I mean Google has a monopoly over video sharing. If they wanted to they could threaten to blacklist these companies from all of googles services. Companies like Coca Cola wouldn't really have a choice at that point since that would be cut from such a massive market that they would do anything possible to get it back. Instead google is punishing what are essentially their employers which is going to end up hurting them in the long run. Less varied content = less activity on youtube = less eyes on the site overall making even less appealing to advertisers.

the fact that people are even witch-hunting a free service to begin with is already sad in of itself. theres literally no incentive for youtube to pay content creators whatsoever but they do it anyways. they dont owe some sort of debt to channel owners or anything. they are just clients using the free service

If youtube paid literally nothing then you would get a scenario like the mid-late 2,000s where all these prominent content creators had their own websites instead that they posted content too.

Yes

i still dont understand why people demonize a free service like youtube. they're not doing anything immoral or illegal by removing or demonetizing content, they're simply abiding by the decisions laid out to them by their source of income, which are ad companies and their marketing groups. when coke says they don't want their ad to be associated with a certain demographic, youtube has no choice but to follow through with that and demonetize videos associated with that demographic.

just cause they provide the service free of charge doesnt mean they cannot abuse users. an brown townogy: server hosts can kick and ban anyone they want, but just cause they own/created the server doesnt make their actions justifiable or right, it just means they /can/ do that.

Yes
....im not sure i follow this logic. are you saying that if the creators who make the stuff people watch left, people would still continue watching youtube? cause i dont see how else youtube makes money

I mean Google has a monopoly over video sharing. If they wanted to they could threaten to blacklist these companies from all of googles services. Companies like Coca Cola wouldn't really have a choice at that point since that would be cut from such a massive market that they would do anything possible to get it back. Instead google is punishing what are essentially their employers which is going to end up hurting them in the long run. Less varied content = less activity on youtube = less eyes on the site overall making even less appealing to advertisers.
Google needs ad money from all sources, but companies like coca cola need viewership from certain groups. its mutually beneficial for google and coca cola to strike up a deal that says that coke will pay for views on the videos they want. google blacklisting coca cola because they wont pay enough is mutually detrimental. it means google loses income from coca cola and coca cola loses viewership from their star demographic. its in neither of the company's interests to threaten each other with ad money, when they can just come to a selective deal that benefits them both but hurts like 5% of all the channels on youtube that arent part of coke's ad demographic

If youtube paid literally nothing then you would get a scenario like the mid-late 2,000s where all these prominent content creators had their own websites instead that they posted content too.
it'd be incredibly decentralized and the view distribution would be incredibly forgeted. right now theres a general balance of youtube channels receiving views because related videos will show up in your suggestion list so you'll find videos that are similar to your tastes. if you have a gazillion separate websites as channels 0.3% of them would have like 5k views or above, and viewers wouldn't be able to find similar videos unless that website suggested other similar websites, which already is hard to maintain individually.

youtube connects all channels by sharing similar results and results that other people watch. most of the time when you browse youtube you'll watch one video, then see an interesting one show up in suggestions, watch that one, etc. until you've watched like 30 different videos. it will distribute your views evenly among different videos and channels

anyways youtube wont ever cut out all payment because of course that means they'd lost all of their content creators at once. but they definitely dont have to dish out generous amounts either.