Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Off Topic / Re: Software engineering trends that annoy you
« Last post by Aide33 on Today at 05:11:37 PM »
i think the most offensive part of what you said was a website requiring 300mb of ram to run being acceptable or normal. i think that's unjustifiable outside of extremely rare and specific circumstances (eg running some full-fledged video game or youtube) and the fact you didn't think that spoke volumes to onlookers you're part of the problem with modern website performance, whether or not you want to be. i definitely recoiled at that number myself, but didn't deem it important enough to respond at the time.
I think you misunderstood my point in context. Let me clarify:

In the context of the conversation, I was talking about electron apps. Stand-alone single page webapps require a lot more resources than the average website. Apps that run standalone on your computer should obviously have way more leeway on how they operate and that should be taken into account. For example, it's not unheard of for Photoshop, Text editors, IDEs, etc to go above 300mb. They need to constantly cache things like documents, files, and web requests. In fact, the instances of terminal I have open right now are like 80-100mb of RAM! It sounds horrible for a text-based application, but it's the cost being able to scroll up the entire history since I opened it! RAM is meant to be used to make user experience snappy and useable (within reason), imagine if every time I scrolled up 100 lines vscode it had to call the HDD to open more of the file, that stuff would be slow as forget.

I wholeheartedly agree with you when saying a normal CRUD website (like a forum or a wiki) should never ever ever use more than 10mb of ram, 300mb is insane for that scenario.
Off Topic / Re: geese thread
« Last post by Sheepocalypse on Today at 11:53:53 AM »
odds are it's mate was nearby
Off Topic / Re: Why do people dislike safety equipment?
« Last post by Alyx Vance on Today at 11:21:43 AM »
Skipping PPE may save a few seconds but it won't save you time or money in the hospital.
I don't use earplugs or anything but I do try to take care of my eyes. Gloves tend to cause me trouble but I'll use them if needed or when I don't feel like having to wash my hands between starting and shutting off vehicles /using the diagnostic computer

Certain safety precautions should always be taken, such as lock out tag out and anything meant to support you or the thing you're working with.
Creativity / Re: Drawings Megathread
« Last post by Mr Queeba on Today at 12:29:36 AM »
gummigoo loving dies
« Last post by Masterlegodude on Today at 12:19:00 AM »
Top 10 saddest deaths in anime
« Last post by Aidan10 on Yesterday at 11:23:06 PM »
"Lol that's not loud" ~ Coworker that was in the army, repeated by other coworker who apparently shoots guns without ear protection

I shoot guns quite frequently, and I did work in the firearms industry for quite a while, and let me just tell you straight up that shooting guns without earpro is literally nothing to brag about. I have had some of my coworkers complain to me about how restless they are because of the constant buzzing or ringing they face. It's just they're trying to justify being tactically disadvantaged when it comes to good hearing. It's compensating.

I will say though that when it comes to safety equipment wearing hi-vis clothing at a site that's disconnected from the main road is kinda gay and idk why some of the dudes I've worked with do that.
« Last post by Pompmaker2 on Yesterday at 04:45:18 PM »
« Last post by Dillpickle on Yesterday at 02:53:45 PM »
Worked in agriculture, specifically a soybean conditioning plant in rural midwest, and the saying goes that "Safety is on YOU"

Sure, common sense will usually keep your hind safe, however all those safety regulations would slow down the traditional flow of what's been essentially the same process forever. The place wasn't OSHA compliant per-say, since it was in the ag business and there's just, different rules for that. Going from that, to being security for a fortune 500 manufacturing facility and seeing just how much OSHA compliance signs, labeling, walkways, safety hazard training, all of those, yet people still complain that it slows down their processes and adds unnecessary overhead

However, as someone who had their right arm momentarily pinned inside a forklifts mask, because I decided to stand on the forks and wrap my arm around the backrest of the carriage instead of using any sort of cage or platform, and the task I decided to do was easier to do without a scissor lift, I also fell into that 'well forget it lets just get 'er done' mentality. arm is okay, got compensation and checked out, nothing broke, lots of bruising and the arm muscle is still rather stiff and rough, I learned that that safety second bullstuff costs lives and there's not that many jobs out there that I want to risk my wellbeing for anymore.

Coming from someone whose been in the labor market for awhile, it's easy to overlook safety in return for speed, because time is money and the more tasks you can complete in a day generally means more money.

as far as any other safety issues out there, i was the only one at least who wore earplugs near machines, i wore safety glasses more often because i already smacked my head on a handle and nearly took my eye out (legit, it was a very close gash to the eye), all because no one really cared for safety or had the mentality that "well if you get hurt it's because you're an idiot", and that's just because of the culture of manual labor jobs around here

edit: let me add

I get that everyone wants to get done and get out, but goddamn if they don't give me stuff for spending a few seconds to put on some basic gear.

this right here is the reason that people dislike it, it not only costs time to deal with PPE, but even if it's just one person who is being compliant theyre still taking time from everyone else, and because you take a few seconds every single time a routine task is performed it adds up to the mentality that it's a waste of time.

Try and be prepared more and show that it doesn't take effort or time out of continuing the flow of the process by donning PPE, and they may seem more inclined to do it themselves, until then they will view it as a continual pause in process and that gets annoying over time.
Off Topic / Re: geese thread
« Last post by Tea on Yesterday at 02:35:49 PM »
I saw a goose all by his lonesome yesterday. 
« Last post by Trogtor on Yesterday at 12:00:32 PM »
this should have a rolling tie off point if it's an I-beam. that way you don't need two separate ties
too much stuff in the ceiling unfortunately. also the distance I'm walking is far longer than an I beam
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10