Poll

The bears

Bearenstein
30 (61.2%)
Bearenstain
19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Doesn't space seem a little too "odd" to you.  (Read 7824 times)

we need to believe something or someone more than us upholds the laws of the natural world before we can actually study them
No, we don't

we need to believe something or someone more than us upholds the laws of the natural world before we can actually study them
nah, it's more like we just have to trust that the universe is consistent (it is, or so we'd like to believe) and that its processes are observable and quantifiable (they are, or so we'd like to believe)

there's nothing wrong with believing things are that way because a higher power intended it to be so, but it's certainly not essential and it doesn't hinder our understanding if we don't

If you studied anything about space it's safe to say god doesn't exist.
weren't you the one who studied nothing about space, hence this topic?

holy stuff guys you turned this into a religious argument based on "science" (aka literally nothing except saying "no it doesn't exist because science")
seriously there is no hard proof that any god does or does not exist
hence the term "faith"

Science cannot exist for the sake of science.
... actually, it can.

... no, we don't.

I've got a natural law for you: posting platitudes and avoiding constructive debate has never convinced anyone to believe in God.

upholds the laws of the natural world

If you learn about other planets they are about as unnatural as it gets.

There is a loving super dense planet, want to know how dense? Take like 3 empire state buildings, ground them up into a teaspoon. Repeat that enough until you have a planet as big as earth.

If you even so much as go near that planet you will be vaporized.

holy stuff guys you turned this into a religious argument based on "science" (aka literally nothing except saying "no it doesn't exist because science")
hence the term "faith"
Welcome to the loving internet

Atheists spend their entire life to prove religion doesn't exist so they are still dependent on religion.

Scientists just want to break the barrier between god and man and end this silly charade.
That's not how atheism works and there are lots of religious scientists who study the sciences for reasons completely seperate from religion. There's no motive behind science besides learning how things work.

I've got a natural law for you: posting platitudes and avoiding constructive debate has never convinced anyone to believe in God.
im encouraging and participating in debate

hence the term "faith"
actually the discussion seems to be more so about if science and religion are actually related at all, not about if a god exists. because if science and religion are independent, god doesn't have to exist for science to work. that doesn't mean a god can't exist, it just means that it shouldn't affect the way that we understand the universe. and that's what i tend to believe, and it works pretty well for me

Atheists spend their entire life to prove religion doesn't exist so they are still dependent on religion.
Speak for yourself

on one end of the spectrum is log and on the other end of the spectrum is lord tony

and by spectrum i mean a horseshoe

suddenly religion so
religion cannot be proved (or is it???) or disproved so any arguments about its existance sucks balls and doesn't matter

im encouraging and participating in debate
You're not actually replying to anyone, though. You're just regurgitating irrelevant platitudes without any evidence.

For instance:
a good understanding of god helps guide scientists to beneficial and responsible studies

Red Spy responds:
Like what

And you completely ignore his question and respond with this:
Science cannot exist for the sake of science.
Which is essentially just a trite, meaningless quip that doesn't actually say anything meaningful.

Welcome to the loving internet
no that's not how it works
you can't call the internet stuff directly after essentially saying "religion sucks ass"
actually the discussion seems to be more so about if science and religion are actually related at all, not about if a god exists. because if science and religion are independent, god doesn't have to exist for science to work. that doesn't mean a god can't exist, it just means that it shouldn't affect the way that we understand the universe. and that's what i tend to believe, and it works pretty well for me
well it seemed like it was drifting into an argument of whether or not religion is just mumbo jumbo

i mean, not really