Poll

The bears

Bearenstein
30 (61.2%)
Bearenstain
19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Doesn't space seem a little too "odd" to you.  (Read 7639 times)

Speak for yourself

I'm not an atheist. I found my true calling.

holy stuff guys you turned this into a religious argument based on "science" (aka literally nothing except saying "no it doesn't exist because science")
The actual flow of the topic/argument is nonsensical because every time Tony replies to someone he brings up something tangentially related, and diverts the discussion, rather than answering questions for clarification or acknowledging that he's wrong.

i believe that god wants us to understand the universe... much like putting together the pieces of puzzle, uncovering the limits of our universe helps us to understand why God made set them so and what our purpose is
You're not actually replying to anyone, though. You're just regurgitating irrelevant platitudes without any evidence.

For instance:
Red Spy responds:
And you completely ignore his question and respond with this:Which is essentially just a trite, meaningless quip that doesn't actually say anything meaningful.
he was confused so i tried to reword it?

he was confused so i tried to reword it?
I was asking "like what" studies are you talking about

i believe that god wants us to understand the universe... much like putting together the pieces of puzzle, uncovering the limits of our universe helps us to understand why God made set them so and what our purpose is
Great, that's your own personal belief and has no impact on reality. Feel free to share it but don't go telling me that I can't study the universe without buying into your religious beliefs.

cool, that's fine. a lot of people probably believe the same thing and that motivated them to do some rad stuff. that's not how every scientist motivates themself, and it's not how science came about, but it's certainly a valid reason to start thinking

science only came to be when people wanted to actually seek the truth, not be content with god.

I was asking "like what" studies are you talking about
i gave the example of curing disease instead of devloping weapons, but now that I'm thinking about it, an idea of god isnt a prerequisite for having morals in science, so its kind of a moot point

science only came to be when people wanted to actually seek the truth, not be content with god.
science came to be when we wanted to blow each other up

those were craaaaazy times

science came to be when we wanted to blow each other up

those were craaaaazy times
>were
please, we've only just gotten STARTED

ok there Nietzsche, we get it

I think we are the only life forms in the universe. If there were space traveling galactic civilizations, we would have noticed by now.
unless they were in a different galaxy lol
in fact even if they were in ours we would be unlikely to know. we have enough trouble as it is making out planets from far away distances, space ships would be much smaller. and if there really were very advanced civilizations roaming the galaxy, I'm sure they'd usually try to avoid contact with any other races that aren't beyond a certain point of development

I don't necessarily believe there is such a civilization out there right now, though. we could conceivably be the only living things in our galaxy at the moment. but so much time has passed, and there's so much time ahead of us, that I'm pretty confident there has been or will be other life, even if they don't reach the point of interstellar travel. and I'd be willing to believe there is, now, other life somewhere else in the universe. there are too many galaxies for me to think that's unreasonable. but chances are we will never know anything specific about the interior of other galaxies

The only reason science is still being hindered is because of religion.

We can't experiment on dead fetus tissue because "muh beliefs"

no

it's not the only reason, but it's a part of it