Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3880284 times)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:41:33 PM by TheArmyGuy »

release or i will kill your dog

disclaimer: the ladder is fixed in-game I just made it look nice in blender

i've decided forget it i'm going to learn how to model people even though i have no artistic talent. i've started at the low poly level and i'm going to try to master that before i go onto the next level of detail because last night i jumped from low poly to high poly and it was a loving disaster. http://www.garycact.us/i/U2NlbmVyeQ/1-ERvNih.png is the best model i have so far but like i said i'm trying to master the low poly before advancing. i've learned that if i get a basic human structure made i can manipulate different vertices/faces to get different archetypes like someone stronger/more feminine/etc which i thought was pretty neat. if any of you have any tips for modeling people/characters (my goal is to get the human shape down then learn how to make more moster-like characters) feel free to post because i've only been doing this for a day and i need advice

thats actually a good start for the female human structure. you should generally want to end up with somethign like this

it's supposed to be male but i can see why you think its female and i'll try replicating whatever you call what you linked

edit: widening the waist did the trick to make my model look more male
edit 2: making the pecks a little larger also did something that made him look more male
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:10:06 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

couldn't you make it a bot turret, where left click makes it extend/retract?

couldn't you make it a bot turret, where left click makes it extend/retract?
I could but I've had some issues making turrets last week https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=313887.0

send me the firetruck model ill make the turret ladder happen

it's supposed to be male but i can see why you think its female and i'll try replicating whatever you call what you linked

edit: widening the waist did the trick to make my model look more male
edit 2: making the pecks a little larger also did something that made him look more male
to ease ur struggles consider making the body and stuff an entirely separate shape rather than subdivide and extrude everything off yhe main body

to ease ur struggles consider making the body and stuff an entirely separate shape rather than subdivide and extrude everything off yhe main body
i'm actually using the loop cut because subdividing a huge pain in the ass. the loop cut is really useful and is basically a local subdivide. separate shapes make the human look connected up by legos, and i don't want that

i'm actually using the loop cut because subdividing a huge pain in the ass. the loop cut is really useful and is basically a local subdivide. separate shapes make the human look connected up by legos, and i don't want that
fair enough, but you should consider using non-extrude based methods so its more flexible to modification. remember tools like duplicate and edge split/remove doubles exist

So I tried redoing my Blue Falcon from yesterday and

HECK YE IMPROVEMENTS

if any of you have any tips for modeling people/characters (my goal is to get the human shape down then learn how to make more moster-like characters) feel free to post because i've only been doing this for a day and i need advice
make sure you check out blenderguru, CG geek, and CGcookie for good entry guides.

for characters, study the dynotopology sculpting workflow and retopology. if you plan to rig them, make sure to get a good understanding of weight painting for bones.

my first humanoid model was a robot based on this

it really helps you visualize the mechanical movement of the muscles and joints and everything. once you understand the proportions between bones, joints and the work each muscle and tendon does it really makes it so much easier to slap some skin over it.

it's more efficient to use brush and sculpt tools to make the details in skin. extruding is probably the worst method for making organic and abnormal models