Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1318803 times)

does anyone know how you can control an led strip with my pc?

Some of the questions have been answered:
Has a wireless mouse, no keyboard (used a laptop).
Wants a decent monitor, doesn't care about the rest of the peripherals.
Does not have a transferable copy of Windows.
Laptop HDD appears to not be easily accessible, so a new HDD should work better.
Doesn't need an optical drive.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:15:09 AM by Mr Queeba »

Depends on the type of strip.

Some of the questions have been answered:
Has a wireless mouse, no keyboard (used a laptop).
Wants a decent monitor, doesn't care about the rest of the peripherals.
Does not have a transferable copy of Windows.
Laptop HDD appears to not be easily accessible, so a new HDD should work better.
Doesn't need an optical drive.

I wasn't directing my post at you if that's what you're responding to, but I'll take a shot at it.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($128.86 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($44.19 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB RS Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VC239H 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech MK200 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Windows License ($25.00)
Total: $1011.87

You can buy a Windows 10 license (legally) at this site: https://www.kinguin.net/

I've bought all mine from there. No issues.

you can with the NZXT hue+ or something
wich is a waste of money because its expensive as loving stuff

Also depends on strip, usually you can just change the color but thats it

booting into sysrescuecd with this laptop and doing lsblk only shows loop0

is the HDD dead
pageloss

Sounds very cool! I'll definitely start saving for one, thank you. Do you have any recommendations, or one's you've had good experiences with?
Sure thing. You can a Crucial MX200 250GB for $84 /w free shipping: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/KzyxFT/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct250mx200ssd1
There's also the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB for $90-ish: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3kL7YJ/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e250bam
They're about equal except that the Samsung drive has a longer warranty.

Sure thing. You can a Crucial MX200 250GB for $84 /w free shipping: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/KzyxFT/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct250mx200ssd1
There's also the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB for $90-ish: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3kL7YJ/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e250bam
They're about equal except that the Samsung drive has a longer warranty.
Thank you! These both are well within my price range and I'll definitely grab them.

Just bought a GTX 1070 and a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO. A little confused on overclocking the 1070, and cloning my current 120gb EVO is a pain in the ass, and now after cloning the drive I cant extend the main volume without not being able to boot Windows. Wonderful :/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:27:17 PM by Willco2 »

Just bought a GTX 1070 and a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO. A little confused on overclocking the 1070, and cloning my current 120gb EVO is a pain in the ass, and now after cloning the drive I cant extend the main volume without not being able to boot Windows. Wonderful :/
what do you mean by cloning? maybe you should just do a fresh install of windows on the new one and transfer all your data. at 520MB/s that'll take like five minutes IF you have the whole 120GB filled lol

what do you mean by cloning? maybe you should just do a fresh install of windows on the new one and transfer all your data. at 520MB/s that'll take like five minutes IF you have the whole 120GB filled lol
I dont have my windows key lying around anymore though and I am definitely not using Kinguin lol

I dont have my windows key lying around anymore though and I am definitely not using Kinguin lol
you should be able to get it somehow. how did you buy windows?

you should be able to get it somehow. how did you buy windows?
i got a free windows 8 pro key from my mom that she got for doing some training at work and upgraded to windows 10, i dont have that windows 8 key anymore though
EDIT: i also have this problem now too

as evident by the image, i cant format this small partition that was created when cloning the drive
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:48:11 PM by Willco2 »

Open cmd
Diskpart
List disk
Select disk [nr here]
Clean
Exit
Exit

Open cmd
Diskpart
List disk
Select disk [nr here]