Author Topic: Computermix, Ipquarx, and Cca - CBM being hacked into to steal keys [chat+pics]  (Read 43677 times)

Badspot can basically tell everyone who bought into the server hosting service, "I told you so". By giving out your key like this, you run the risk of moments like this.

It's nice that Badspot is being forgiving though. Let's hope we'll reinforce this moment as a sort of "live and learn" experience.
I don't think you understand that we did not give out our keys. We simply went through the same process as when we first put our keys into the game. They are encrypted into a key.dat file like all other keys. Why are some of you victim-blaming us for using CBMHost, seriously knock it off.

I don't think you understand that we did not give out our keys. We simply went through the same process as when we first put our keys into the game. They are encrypted into a key.dat file like all other keys. Why are some of you victim-blaming us for using CBMHost, seriously knock it off.

By doing so, you left yourself open to a moment like this. You really don't understand. Because you gave them the key.dat file, it was open to exploit at any time. This is why I trust no one. The world of networking is a dangerous and open place. Once you leave a file open on a shared network, you run the risk of malicious users coming in and taking those valuable files.

By doing so, you left yourself open to a moment like this. You really don't understand. Because you gave them the key.dat file, it was open to exploit at any time. This is why I trust no one. The world of networking is a dangerous and open place. Once you leave a file open on a shared network, you run the risk of malicious users coming in and taking those valuable files.
Stop victim blaming.

to solve all our problems we should make all amateur services like this revocable on sight. it would stop so many problems from arising. it would literally make the world a better place, maybe stop starvation in Africa

I did NOT give them the key.dat file. The file is limited to only one certain computer. You cannot use a key.dat file on another computer. I generated my own key.dat on their network. Are you suggesting every hosting service is dangerous?

Stop victim blaming.

"Stop accusing me for something I knew well ahead of time qas bad ;-;"

Why doesn't anyone understand. It's like we don't have some sort of end user rules or something or even an education on how basic networking works.

I did NOT give them the key.dat file. The file is limited to only one certain computer. You cannot use a key.dat file on another computer. I generated my own key.dat on their network. Are you suggesting every hosting service is dangerous?

Everything has a risk with it. I host a server at my school, we know that everyone on the network has resources that they can use at their own will. It's our jobs and responsibilities to maintain that service and make sure it's secure. We understand nothing is airtight and can be abused or taken at any time.

Everything has a risk with it. I host a server at my school, we know that everyone on the network has resources that they can use at their own will. It's our jobs and responsibilities to maintain that service and make sure it's secure. We understand nothing is airtight and can be abused or taken at any time.
Everything has a risk to it, whether it be very small to huge. Does that mean you can't do it? Of course it doesn't.

"Stop accusing me for something I knew well ahead of time qas bad ;-;"
No, you're literally blaming the victims here for something they're in no way at fault for. It's the hacker's fault for hacking into the service. Having faith in the keydat format is a more than reasonable thing. So if you really, really wanted to get into pointing fingers uselessly here, you could blame badspot for having an insecure key.dat format.

The users were assured that the service was safe as well, so why not blame cowboy for all this? Or how about the programmers that made whatever software caused the vulnerability? Your whole theory of the users themselves being at fault is bullhit.

Everything has a risk to it, whether it be very small to huge. Does that mean you can't do it? Of course it doesn't.

You entrusted that service with your resources and you lost them. Live, learn and move on.

No, you're literally blaming the victims here for something they're in no way at fault for. It's the hacker's fault for hacking into the service. Having faith in the keydat format is a more than reasonable thing. So if you really, really wanted to get into pointing fingers uselessly here, you could blame badspot for having an insecure key.dat format.

The users were assured that the service was safe as well, so why not blame cowboy for all this? Or how about the programmers that made whatever software caused the vulnerability? Your whole theory of the users themselves being at fault is bullhit.

So entrusting someone with your personal belongings and hearing they got stolen along the way. You should blame the person who stole. Instead of blaming yourself, even an ounce of blame.

Wow, I should totally look at the small picture instead of the big one.

Stop victim blaming.
not really...
people were advised not to use services like this. they were given a choice not to, a smart one at most because lets face it, who in their right mind would actually trust a FREE third party service run by an unproven nobody (sorry cowboy) across the internet? its all on you.

yeah its also cowboys fault and the "hackers" fault. but the "customers" share the same fault for feeding this untrustworthy service when they were clearly told not to

Lmao I found out about this almost a month ago. Nobody has the full keys, just the last few characters of each key. This is old news Maxx. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, I didn't feel like reading eight pages.

What? I don't get it. I don't think they're supposed have access to the last character of each key.... Though, I don't know if Badspot made it so that it'll reveal the last few characters.

You entrusted that service with your resources and you lost them. Live, learn and move on.

So entrusting someone with your personal belongings and hearing they got stolen along the way. You should blame the person who stole. Instead of blaming yourself, even an ounce of blame.

Wow, I should totally look at the small picture instead of the big one.
If you trusted the person enough, it's not your fault. Also, why are you even criticizing us? These are not YOUR keys, these are our keys, and you're telling us to suck it up? Seriously?
not really...
people were advised not to use services like this. they were given a choice not to, a smart one at most because lets face it, who in their right mind would actually trust a FREE third party service run by an unproven nobody (sorry cowboy) across the internet? its all on you.

yeah its also cowboys fault and the "hackers" fault. but the "customers" share the same fault for feeding this untrustworthy service when they were clearly told not to
The keys were encrypted oh my god, it's not like we left them out in the open. This is literally the same thing if someone gets into your computer, swipes your key.dat and decrypts it. All that's different is that it's in a different place.

isn't computermix a known problem user for this kinna stuff? why did badspot ever let him back?

If you trusted the person enough, it's not your fault. Also, why are you even criticizing us? These are not YOUR keys, these are our keys, and you're telling us to suck it up? Seriously?The keys were encrypted oh my god, it's not like we left them out in the open. This is literally the same thing if someone gets into your computer, swipes your key.dat and decrypts it. All that's different is that it's in a different place.

I've lost several accounts to "hacking" and "phishing", don't even tell me I'm exempt from discussion.

Encryption doesn't mean anything, if it's there, it can be cracked open and taken.