Author Topic: No admins = Password the server  (Read 3472 times)

A script that kicks everyone out and passwords the server after 30 seconds of no admins being present. The idea to this is to try to keep an admin on the server at all times. Admins should know the password. Once an admin joins, the server will be unpassworded and people can join again.

This would be useful because in a normal situation, if there are no admins on the server then the server can't be administrated, thus potential rule breakers or hackers can have free reign. This script should aim to stop that problem.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:38:32 PM by Crispy_ »

how would it be any better to have an empty server than to have a server where there are people who are cheating
I mean if it was a big deal people would leave anyway
so...

I like this idea. I might make it.

Why not just one that passwords the server rather than kicking everyone out? That way the risk of having trolls come on going "admins aren't online, let's spam chat!" is minimal.

Why not just one that passwords the server rather than kicking everyone out? That way the risk of having trolls come on going "admins aren't online, let's spam chat!" is minimal.
/support

good idea Planr!

how would it be any better to have an empty server than to have a server where there are people who are cheating
I mean if it was a big deal people would leave anyway
This
If cheating is such a huge problem, then the problem lies with your gamemode, no amount of admins is going to fix that.
Doing something like this is just going to annoy players

"admins aren't online, let's spam chat!"
The best solution is to not use an add-on that breaks spam protection

I dunno why people are questioning this. Maybe OP is like me and doesn't feel comfortable with leaving his server unmoderated.

I dunno why people are questioning this. Maybe OP is like me and doesn't feel comfortable with leaving his server unmoderated.
I used to host a freebuild and did it all the time
Sure, a couple times I got on and it was spammed
But the vast majority of times was nothing but a few undeleted weapon/vehicle spawns
Not worth blocking everyone from playing on it
And that's a freebuild, something like a DM would be even less risk

Blockland is the only game I've seen where people are obsessed with administration
A better idea would be to fix the things that you would need to be kicking people over, ex:
not use an add-on that breaks spam protection
and a way to easily contact admins in case of an issue.

how about if an admin leaves
it will enable the admin bot
basicly if someone spams, they will be muted or kicked
and if people request to ban someone because of cheating to the bot (voteban basicly)
bot will do

and if people request to ban someone because of cheating to the bot (voteban basicly)
bot will do
yes

bot will do
Bots are easily exploitable and really take this mod over complicated. I am writing the version OP suggested, with prefs for those who want options.

bot will do
Everyone is thinking of this the wrong way
Instead of writing an add-on to mute people if they spam, stop them from spamming in the first place. There's a spam filter in the game by default; don't use add-ons that break it.
Don't look at server issues from the stance of needing more administration. Instead, fix the problems that you're needing to kick people over from occurring in the first place (if you post them, people could help with that)

If you're this concerned about the server being unadmined, I suspect that that periods of time must be fairly long. If people find a sever they like, they're going to want to play on it. But if it's passworded half the time they look, eventually they'll stop trying

Bots are easily exploitable and really take this mod over complicated. I am writing the version OP suggested, with prefs for those who want options.
Why are you writing an add-on to help your server die?

Why are you writing an add-on to help your server die?
Pretty much my thoughts, but more bluntly worded