Author Topic: The Vinyl Megathread - Anything and Everything to do with Vinyl Records  (Read 18862 times)

Although most likely not vinyl, I wonder if any forumers own those players that play the cylindrical records or whatever the hell they're called.

One of these things.

I found out that the newcombs are actually very hard on records, possibly worse than crosleys. So yeah, probably won't get one

I found out that the newcombs are actually very hard on records, possibly worse than crosleys. So yeah, probably won't get one

I wish I knew which players aren't hard on records...  :panda:

EDIT: Make sure it has a counterbalanced tone arm with adjustable weight.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:26:29 PM by Wiiplay123 »

EDIT: Make sure it has a counterbalanced tone arm with adjustable weight.

honestly if it has a counterweight you're fine. pmounts/T4P mounts don't have to be adjusted, the standard is 1.25 grams for the vtg (vertical tracking force)

i'm looking into getting a new cart soon for my pmount. another audio technica since they sound good for the price.

i bought 2 records in the past few weeks. i preordered flying lotus's "you're dead!" and i also bought a 180 gram version of nine inch nails "the downward spiral"

another one of my records i bought a long time ago shipped yesterday, a original pressing of daft punk's discovery. unopened. I AM SO READY.

Could someone sum up all the parts of a record player, please?

I'm confused about cartridges.

I made a Discogs account yesterday and am in the process of cataloging all the records I have. I also am planning which records to get when I finally get a turntable which should be in the next few months or weeks.

Could someone sum up all the parts of a record player, please?

I'm confused about cartridges.

let me make a photoshop diagram

edit: headshell is the place where you put the cartridge and hook up the wires.

a pmount is essentially a plug n play device.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:50:35 PM by TomTheGeek² »

(Diagram)

But what does the antiskating do? And what do cartridges do? I thought the tonearm just had a thing built-in that you put needles in...

But what does the antiskating do? And what do cartridges do? I thought the tonearm just had a thing built-in that you put needles in...

antiskating prevents skating which helps the tonarm stay in balance while the record is being played. cartridges take the vibrations of the needle through a magnet and that creates a sound.

the tonearm is literally the arm going from the headshell to the base of the tonearm where the counterweight and the dial for antiskating.

Well, today I was at my brothers friends house and they have a ton of old radios and stuff (his dad is into that and theyre both into records), and his dad gave me this old Webcor 121-1 turntable from the 1950s that he had lying around for some reason. Just straight up offered it up to me. It needs a new motor, the needle holder is pushed down a big so part of it is sticking out lower than the needle (and I can't seem to push it back in), and it needs an RCA jack to plug it into a speaker (It's been disconnected from the original cabinet), but other than that, it's in great condition. 3 speed, switchable needle (45 needle is good condition, 78 needle is missing), relatively clean, and has a record changer for stacking (I don't know if that works though). It might be a pain to find a new motor though, does anyone know where I could find one (other than ebay)?

Also, my brother's friend has the beatles White and Red albums, a bunch of old elvis albums, Dark Side of The Moon, and a ton of other stuff that people would go crazy for (all original too).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:54:19 PM by Mr Man »

-snip-

Also, my brother's friend has the beatles White and Red albums, a bunch of old elvis albums, Dark Side of The Moon, and a ton of other stuff that people would go crazy for (all original too).

as long as you know some electronics basics you're fine. you could prolly find other motor of the same caliber but it might be a pain in the ass to do...

the plural for vinyl is vinyl...

also, you should really check this out
http://www.discogs.com/Daz-Hertz-Non-Stop-Munty