Poll

Even if no more problems with the home-hosting happen, would you pay $4.00/month if HammerHost was still run at home?

Yes, home hosting will stabilize and become more reliable
No, I feel comfortable only with a remote dedicated server

Author Topic: HammerHost dedicated hosting service :: Clients, get your files  (Read 52146 times)

Even Return to Blockland could not afford DDoS protection; how can a free hosting service do this? And no matter what kind of machine or bandwidth I have, I will get DoS'd.
Well that spells out one obvious verb which has four characters in it. Do you really intend on keeping this service alive when your service has one hiccup after another? Some things you've got to consider before you intend on carrying on. This service is too trivial for some people to even think about using it. Downtime is bigger so than uptime.

You've made a control panel, cool! It's probably got some cool mechanisms you've learnt whilst working it out and you've probably felt good about the fact you've achieved something. It'll look good on whatever you intend to do in your life by talking about it in your CV, just don't leave it to be dragged out moreso than it needs to be. This service should have been truly given up on a while back.

You're beating a dead horse. 'Stop'.

Well that spells out one obvious verb which has four characters in it. Do you really intend on keeping this service alive when your service has one hiccup after another?
Yes I will because I never know when the attacker will stop, if it is a DoS, or the ISP will fix stuff, if it's their fault. One day the downtime could stop all of a sudden.

Yes I will because I never know when the attacker will stop, if it is a DoS, or the ISP will fix stuff, if it's their fault. One day the downtime could stop all of a sudden.

What if the attacker will not stop until you stop. You're an idiot for thinking that way.

The attacker is clearly reading this right now if there is one. If it isn't a DoS then it might be just your stuffty network. Either way the easy way out right now is to close it down. You're not going to get anywhere with this constant attack.

I'm not being harsh, I'm being brutally honest.

What if the attacker will not stop until you stop. You're an idiot for thinking that way.
There is always a chance that the attacker does not have much time or resources, and is aiming for a quick shutdown of my hosting service. It may be this way since the downtimes are not 24/7.

If it isn't a DoS then it might be just your stuffty network. Either way the easy way out right now is to close it down. You're not going to get anywhere with this constant attack.
The network has never behaved like this before. Before my hosting service, the ISP had at least 99.9% uptime for 2 years. The only outages happened during power outages (therefore it's not their fault). Because of this and the patterns in downtime yesterday, I am suspecting a DoS.

I know I am not going to get anywhere for the next few days, but it could atop. I have invested enough time and coins into this. The business plan did not expire yet.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:43:23 AM by Hammereditor5 »

There is always a chance that the attacker does not have much time or resources, and is aiming for a quick shutdown of my hosting service. It may be this way since the downtimes are not 24/7.
Whatever suits you. However it's going to be a long wait and you're wasting money on electricity and internet costs. (Don't back me up on how cheap your server maybe is by doing stupid ass calculations, it's still wasting money in the long run)

Have you actually tried contacting your ISP yet?

Have you actually tried contacting your ISP yet?
Yes, we did it yesterday. However, it's the weekends and all the real technicians are not available, so you end up with call-center support people (and no, they are not offshore despite the word "call center") who can only provide basic support. My dad added some information to the support ticket, however, so that when the network technicians are available, the issue can be found faster.

The HammerHost web site is currently not working, since I am trying to implement SSL.

The HammerHost web site is currently not working, since I am trying to implement SSL.

What for?

You seem shy to spend money, you know you can't implement SSL properly without paying for a certificate?

What for?
I want to learn how to do it; I'm bored right now.
I'll also try to implement secure Web sockets later.

You seem shy to spend money, you know you can't implement SSL properly without paying for a certificate?

I don't mind if the web browser shows a red "https://" crossed out.

100% no point doing it if it's not verified by a CA.

100% no point doing it if it's not verified by a CA.
The connection is still encrypted, isn't it?

I want to learn how to do it; I'm bored right now.
I'll also try to implement secure Web sockets later.

oh my god