Author Topic: Possible Linux port if Blockland was greenlit?  (Read 5958 times)

why not just use windows?
because windows likes to stuff itself randomly.

I decided to bump this as its starting to get lost...I doubt Badspot will post here so this will be my final bump.

PM Baddy a link to this topic?

PM Baddy a link to this topic?
Well I would say he has a much greater chance in the General Discussion than his PMs, and his PMs are probably for more important things. I think I will just leave it here honestly.

A linux dedicated server would be much more useful
If a linux dedicated server existed, my hosting service wouldn't have to scrap the Linux VPS and get a Windows one.

If a linux dedicated server program existed (Blockland.exe) then you should be able to play the game - it's still Blockland.exe but you can pass -dedicated to it

I always found dedicated servers to be unstable on linux.

I support this, but you also have to think about the general population. A fairly large proportion of users who play Blockland are Mac users or Windows users (Windows XP, Windows 7 and 8).

because windows likes to stuff itself randomly.

that being said, linux must stuff itself daily

I support this, but you also have to think about the general population. A fairly large proportion of users who play Blockland are Mac users or Windows users (Windows XP, Windows 7 and 8).
I love how you said Mac first.

that being said, linux must stuff itself daily
Only if you're using something like Arch or Gentoo. Even then, if you're not handicapped, you'll probably only get a problem like 2-3 times a month.

that's a lot more times than i've ever had problems on windows

Honestly, porting Blockland to Linux is not very necessary and a waste of time.

Honestly, porting Blockland to Linux is not very necessary and a waste of time.
I don't think you read the OP. If anything it would be a waste of money not time, I spoke about Badspot hiring a linux developer, of course he or Kompressor would have to help initially with the engind and work together for future updates but his entire time wouldn't be spent only focusing on the linux port and the majority of the work would be done by the linux dev he hired.

Out of curiosity, with what and how?

what
that's what i'm saying, i've never really had problems with windows
i think the one issue i've had in the past year was when my quick links in explorer randomly disappeared, but that's really not an issue of any sort
anything beyond the past year i can't be bothered to remember but i imagine there's nothing

a waste of money not time
it may be a cliche, but it's nonetheless true that time is money

what
that's what i'm saying, i've never really had problems with windows
That's good for you, but everyone's computers don't work the same, and everyone's needs and wants aren't all the same. You should learn to respect others' preferences.