Author Topic: Shaders Help (Mac)!  (Read 3476 times)

I just got a brand new MacBook Air and was relieved to see that this supported shaders...however, when i went onto bl and put them on max...the game made it look like the entire game was a shadow...this continued all the way till i tried minimum where it was finally working...however there are no shadows on the ground...only on the brick. I have no idea how to fix this so if someone could please guide me I'd be very appreciative.
Thanks!

Your Macbook is not actually able to run shaders other than minimum without making it look like an entire shadow. To fix this, simply get better computer parts.

I literally just bought this thing a week ago...why would i need to get new parts?

I literally just bought this thing a week ago...why would i need to get new parts?

Your Mac probably has Intel parts and aged software and whatnot that simply does not- and will not- allow your computer to run shadows and shaders. How new it is doesn't matter, Macs are not made for real performance or gaming. If you really wanted those, you shoulda gotten a decent computer. There may be some way to get shadows and shaders to work, but 'till then you're gonna have to wait.

Most (if not all?) macs only support minimum shaders. I find that they are sufficient for all of my uses anyways.

The reason behind this is that the video drivers for mac are missing something that require shaders to work (its not Badspot's fault, he can't  fix it). To see what this is set shaders to anything above minimum load a map such as the tutorial and once you spawn in press the ~ button and there will be a list of things that require shaders followed be something like "YES" or "NO" (I dont really remember).

I have said this many times and the only way this is to be fixed is if a bunch of the Blockland community members (mostly mac users as, not to sound harsh but its their problem) send e-mails or contact apple support or something about including this in their video drivers however I dont think anyone has spend their time doing this.

The reason behind this is that the video drivers for mac are missing something that require shaders to work (its not Badspot's fault, he can't  fix it). To see what this is set shaders to anything above minimum load a map such as the tutorial and once you spawn in press the ~ button and there will be a list of things that require shaders followed be something like "YES" or "NO" (I dont really remember).

I have said this many times and the only way this is to be fixed is if a bunch of the Blockland community members (mostly mac users as, not to sound harsh but its their problem) send e-mails or contact apple support or something about including this in their video drivers however I dont think anyone has spend their time doing this.

This so much. Don't tell him his computer can't handle it because it's a Mac, guys... Give him the real reason, or don't give him anything. Apparently, there have been a few cases where shadows actually have worked on Macs; these are just rare. It's not that the hardware is bad; in this case, it's a software/driver issue. My Mac runs plenty of other games just fine, and while it is by no means a beast of a gaming computer, it also by no means sucks. And it's a 2008 model, so it's not like it's all that new.

The world will be a happier place when people stop fighting over PCs.

This so much. Don't tell him his computer can't handle it because it's a Mac, guys... Give him the real reason, or don't give him anything. Apparently, there have been a few cases where shadows actually have worked on Macs; these are just rare. It's not that the hardware is bad; in this case, it's a software/driver issue. My Mac runs plenty of other games just fine, and while it is by no means a beast of a gaming computer, it also by no means sucks. And it's a 2008 model, so it's not like it's all that new.

The world will be a happier place when people stop fighting over PCs.
We never said "lol mac sucks and it can't run pc games lolol"

We never said "lol mac sucks and it can't run pc games lolol"
I meant this guy.
Your Mac probably has Intel parts and aged software and whatnot that simply does not- and will not- allow your computer to run shadows and shaders. How new it is doesn't matter, Macs are not made for real performance or gaming. If you really wanted those, you shoulda gotten a decent computer. There may be some way to get shadows and shaders to work, but 'till then you're gonna have to wait.

I meant this guy.
well, his point is true

a lot of games aren't even compatable on mac, and usually the mac's hardware is not enough to run games at higher than lowest settings

well, his point is true

a lot of games aren't even compatable on mac, and usually the mac's hardware is not enough to run games at higher than lowest settings
*sigh*

Have you tested this theory (the settings part)?

I don't need a reason, I was just curious to see if I was doing something wrong. Its very true...most games are not compatable with mac :( . But at least we don't have a pixelized screen.

I don't need a reason, I was just curious to see if I was doing something wrong. Its very true...most games are not compatable with mac :( . But at least we don't have a pixelized screen.
What are you talking about
all computers use pixels, including Macs, and pretty much every monitor after 2003 can support a decent resolution.

*sigh*

Have you tested this theory (the settings part)?
yes, and i said
usually the mac's hardware is not enough to run games at higher than lowest settings
some more expensive macs can have video cards that are somewhat decent, but most of what i've seen isn't good for gaming