Author Topic: Pixel Art  (Read 788446 times)

little bit of inconsistency between animations, but i'm just feeling out the design for now. i wanna tone down the solid blacks and add some some more colour. thoughts?

I like the solid blacks, gives it a more serious tone. As long as the game matches the style, there's no problem.

Only thing that kinda weird's me out is the speed of that idle and the lack of extra frames in the center of the run cycle. His arms seem to appear on one side and then the other. I do see the one frame where it has motion blur to show the arm moving, but perhaps make that 2 frames? Or perhaps even change the arms color so the motion doesn't get lost in the body color.

His sprite just looks like an edit of the Batter, albeit with a different walkcycle. Maybe I'm wrong, idk.

ding dong; you are wrong.
that transparency in batter's arm isn't my fault. that was in the original.

ding dong; you are wrong.
not really that still looks a lot like the batter

I like the solid blacks, gives it a more serious tone. As long as the game matches the style, there's no problem.

Only thing that kinda weird's me out is the speed of that idle and the lack of extra frames in the center of the run cycle. His arms seem to appear on one side and then the other. I do see the one frame where it has motion blur to show the arm moving, but perhaps make that 2 frames? Or perhaps even change the arms color so the motion doesn't get lost in the body color.

yeah, the decision to change up the blacks is to fit in with some decisions in the art style.

now that you mention it i just realized that the exported gifs actually play faster than the animation playback in photoshop, which is unfortunate. might be all the layers i'm using or maybe it's just photoshop. i had a slower idle animation before but the motion was waay too exaggerated for my liking, so i cut it down.

i see what you mean about the arms - i think it might be worth it to add some more smears to smooth out the motion. i actually cut down 2 frames from the original 10-frame draft animation, because i felt the cycle was too slow and floaty. again, that's just how it appeared in the animation preview. i might actually have to add more frames after all. and yeah, i wanna add something more to the design so it's more than just a bunch of metallic looking grey shapes. thanks for the feedback!

yeah, the decision to change up the blacks is to fit in with some decisions in the art style.

now that you mention it i just realized that the exported gifs actually play faster than the animation playback in photoshop, which is unfortunate. might be all the layers i'm using or maybe it's just photoshop. i had a slower idle animation before but the motion was waay too exaggerated for my liking, so i cut it down.

i see what you mean about the arms - i think it might be worth it to add some more smears to smooth out the motion. i actually cut down 2 frames from the original 10-frame draft animation, because i felt the cycle was too slow and floaty. again, that's just how it appeared in the animation preview. i might actually have to add more frames after all. and yeah, i wanna add something more to the design so it's more than just a bunch of metallic looking grey shapes. thanks for the feedback!
I've noticed the playback speed of animations in photoshop is slower, but if you preview the animation in the export for web it's the correct speed.

the style is very nice, though the scale seems completely off
Yeah, I know. The cars looks really loving weird when they were smaller.

Made a few more forum character sprites

little bit of inconsistency between animations, but i'm just feeling out the design for now. i wanna tone down the solid blacks and add some some more colour. thoughts?
omg i love it

reminds me of earthworm jim

can you guys stop dissing on foulprairiedog already
so he inspired himself a bit from the batter's style and/or walkcycle

are you going to hunt him down and make him pay

can you guys stop dissing on foulprairiedog already
i didn't make it... i was attempting to defend InvisibleName

er, sorry, didn't look carefully

also, myself, I've never really been a fan of these idle animations where the characters just bounce up and down continuously when they're not doing something else

the only game where this actually fit was crypt of the necrodancer, and that's because the character is cursed - she DIES if she stops dancing

Knight Knight

Okay well, FACES then! Snouts are easier to do since I've been working on drale for so long
third one isn't that bad, but the other two are just silly
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:48:01 AM by Tudoreleu »

I think the bouncing is started as a way to make the character breathe (chest rises and falls)

ty zay it looks okay, that's what i have 2 say
also, myself, I've never really been a fan of these idle animations where the characters just bounce up and down continuously when they're not doing something else

ya i kno he waggles his tail and it's not the exact same as what your describing but still!!!