Author Topic: Facebook XMPP - Can anyone help me with the XMPP?  (Read 1538 times)

At the end of last month, Facebook Messenger for Windows and Firefox announced service would end March 3rd, 2014. While it didn't end immediately on this date, it appears to have stopped functioning within the last few hours.

In response, I installed Pidgin and set it to log into Facebook XMPP. However, there are some missing features I'm appreciate having, and I was hoping someone could help me see if the features are there and just not supported yet. If anyone understands XMPP and could help me comb through the available features for what I'd like to bring to my Pidgin, could you PM me?

This page appears to be about it, although this specific page seems more general and I'm not sure how I'd look for anything more specific: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:18:30 PM by MegaScientifical »

At the end of last month, Facebook Messenger for Windows and Firefox announced service would end March 3rd, 2014. While it didn't end immediately on this date, it appears to have stopped functioning within the last few hours.

In response, I installed Pidgin and set it to log into Facebook XMPP. However, there are some missing features I'm appreciate having, and I was hoping someone could help me see if the features are there and just not supported yet. If anyone understands XMPP and could help me comb through the available features for what I'd like to bring to my Pidgin, could you PM me?

holy stuff i use to use that all the time wtf.

holy stuff i use to use that all the time wtf.

Well uh... everyone used to tell me they used Pidgin, and when I was looking up stuff on Facebook when they announced the closure, top of the list was using Pidgin to connect... Is there any better methods, though?

you'd think there wouldn't be any loopholes after the service ended?

They have not announced closing third-party access through Facebook XMPP - only Windows and Firefox applications: https://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php

What I'm trying to do is see if the XMPP supports some features the applications had, but I'm not sure how to figure that part out. Then I'd also be a bit stuck making Pidgin display the features, although it does support plugins.

What features exactly are you looking for

Cause XMPP is pretty broken

Well, the standalone program supported notifying when messages were viewed by the other person. That was actually useful because I'd send a message which ended up to be right before they left, and then I'd have a notification telling me they saw it in the morning or something. Reduced misunderstandings related to "But I sent that LAST NIGHT." etc. I was curious if the XMPP (or from the looks of it, Jabber) already served out the Seen at notification, and I just need to allow the messenger to properly react and display it.

There are timestamps, but I don't know of a client that supports the "seen at" thing

Well Pidgin supports plugins of some form, so I wanted to know if Facebook's XMPP serves out the notification so I could figure out Pidgin plugins and have it respond to that properly.

Pidgins plugins enable usage of like various European messaging services. They're not for enhancing XMPP or what it already supports

Well... I heard other messengers support Facebook Chat. I just want to know if that notification is served out so it can be added somewhere.

Wait, does this whole shutdown include the chat on the main site?

Well... I heard other messengers support Facebook Chat. I just want to know if that notification is served out so it can be added somewhere.
It's not AFAIK

Wait, does this whole shutdown include the chat on the main site?

They only discontinued first-party applications off-site. That is, the standalone Facebook Messenger for Windows program and Facebook Messenger for Firefox add-on. They are trying to push people to use the site, which I honestly can't because I seem to always find new and creative ways to crash my loving browser, and in general it is a hassle to use the browser for live chatting nowadays.

It's not AFAIK

Hmm, I wish I could check debugging on this and see what is being pinged back to me.

Edit: Oh by the way, "is typing" messages are supported. I know that's somewhat standard now, but I was hoping if they even bother, maybe other notifications are relayed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:50:18 PM by MegaScientifical »

Maybe try inspecting the site php code to see how facebook is bringing the messages to the window instead of using a bugy api. I used to do that with RTB to bring the rtb chat into bl chat hipster style