Author Topic: WHY Badspot finds it hard to make updates for Blockland (chill, community)  (Read 5696 times)

I don't know if the community realises this, but.. Badspot is burnt out.
He has been CONSTANTLY pushing updates every year or month or two for TEN YEARS.
If I were Badspot, I would try to concentrate on something else. And he is doing that.
But the community, you, needs to chill. You can't pressurise Badspot to make more updates. He isn't a slave. He's only one person.
Take a look at Overwatch, for example. They can meet the expectations of the community because they have a DEVELOPMENT TEAM.
Badspot can't. He's done Blockland all on his own with kompressor for TEN YEARS. You need to realise that we have to give him a rest.
But don't lose hope. If he recovers, he MIGHT just update Blockland again and cross the finish line to take the expectations of the community.
But currently, all you're doing is just complaining and pestering about Badspot that he's grumpy, money-hungry. No. He isn't.
He is an average game developer. Game developers HAVE to make money. It's their business. And if you're saying he's grumpy, that's because he can't rest.
Same in real life. If you can't rest after a race, you feel really grumpy. That's Badspot right now.

So how to solve this? Give him a rest. I can tell how much he can't rest and recover from this comment he made:

Badspot 2017-01-19 10:50:31
What game from 2007 is still getting free updates? Are you writing to the devs of "Kane & Lynch: Dead Men" every day to complain that they're not updating the game for free? How about "Enemy Territory: Quake Wars"? These were $60 games.

Blockland is not a subscription product. There should be no expectation of free content updates at all. Paying me $20 ten years ago does not make me your slave today.

He has actually made extremely good points. But the community perceives it as the, 'usual' Badspot.
It's not usual. It's unusual. He isn't getting any rest or recovery whatsoever, and we need to give him that. That's why he can't update Blockland.
So please, give him motivation and support and recovery + rest, and just let him off. It's like working for a job, and you work every day, even at the weekend. Nobody wants that. But that's the scenario Badspot is in right now. So PLEASE let him off the job, and just let him concentrate on other things for a while. If you be patient, he could make updates for Blockland. I reckon if we start recovering him and giving him rest now, in a few months, or a year, an update for Blockland will come out. But currently, that prediction is only 5 YEARS or 10 YEARS. If we continue the way we are now, he will start driving away from Blockland for a LONG while.

GIVE him a break.

nobody is questioning why he stopped/suggesting we deserve free updates. it doesn't mean people will stop asking, esp for small updates to fix bugs or functionality that would take literally minutes to add, or would greatly support more quality mods.

there's a lot of small things about the way the engine works that he can fix that would give modders just that much more ability to make mods/do specific things, but he doesn't do it for whatever reason. a few small ones that come to mind include aiplayer functions being supported for players, allow changing player jumpforce/runforce, and allowing the server to set y rotation of player transforms.

a lot of the updates he has pushed over the past few years are minimal updates that arent nearly as strenuous or difficult to make as you imply they are.

either way, he doesn't need defenders. he's shown well enough he has the capability of ignoring people or things he doesn't care about. and not asking for an update would justify to him not ever needing to make a new one since nobody is asking, so staying silent isnt the way to go either.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:13:18 AM by Conan »

That's true, but Badspot can't be arsed, because he just can't rest or recover. That's my point.
He could do them in minutes, but he's doing tiny updates because he can only do them while he can't rest or recover.

Thank you for speaking on behalf of Badspot. I take it you're his new PR spokesperson.

That's true, but Badspot can't be arsed, because he just can't rest or recover. That's my point.
He could do them in minutes, but he's doing tiny updates because he can only do them while he can't rest or recover.
He's not doing any updates because the game doesn't need updates. Blockland is completely functional, and any issues the game has are at an engine level and are difficult to repair. For now, the game has everything that everyone needs, adding more is overboard.

He's not refusing to update the game because he's tired or has too much work to do; it's just unnecessary.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:14:32 AM by PhantOS »

Thank you for speaking on behalf of Badspot. I take it you're his new PR spokesperson.

I'm not. I never spoke on his behalf. Nice you thought that, though!
I just thought about what's happening and what Badspot's mood is. I summed it all up so the community can chill out.

I summed it all up so the community can chill out.
Great, thank you for this excessively in-depth summary of Badspot's feelings. You truly are the hero this planet needs

He's not doing any updates because the game doesn't need updates. Blockland is completely functional, and any issues the game has are at an engine level and are difficult to repair. For now, the game has everything that everyone needs, adding more is overboard.

He's not refusing to update the game because he's tired or has too much work to do; it's just unnecessary.

Good point. That is true. But for some reason it's what the community wants, and we just need to tone them down.

the real question then is what is badspot doing that makes him so unable to write these small changes. i dont blame him for being tired of developing for this game, but i strongly doubt its because he's too mentally or physically tired to. its more bored with the game than anything else, probably.

also phantos is being sarcastic.

adding more content is unnecessary, yes, since the game itself is all about creating content. but giving modders more control/functions they need is something that can be easily done, and would benefit current and future mods from here on out
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:18:54 AM by Conan »

Good point. That is true. But for some reason it's what the community wants, and we just need to tone them down.
You make it sound like the 'community' is a giant looming boogeyman conglomerate of shadowy goons. The 'community' isn't asking for anything, only the 1-2% of handicaps who make it their life goal to pester Badspot for more updates. The other 98% of us really don't give a stuff

So we're meant to believe that posting opinions on his development activity is preventing him from 'resting'? Surely you're kidding.

Given how little I paid for the game and how long ago I paid it, I don't expect 'free' updates like he said. Would I pay for the game again if he put effort into updating the game? Definitely. Would I be a little annoyed if I bought the game recently only to find development has all but halted? Also definitely.

the real question then is what is badspot doing that makes him so unable to write these small changes. i dont blame him for being tired of developing for this game, but i strongly doubt its because he's too mentally or physically tired to. its more bored with the game than anything else, probably.

also phantos is being sarcastic.

Building robots. And other projects. Maybe he is bored. Who knows?

Building robots. And other projects. Maybe he is bored. Who knows?
well clearly you do since you keep saying he's tired and need rest. point is dont presume to know why he's not working on bl, esp if you have no evidence to support it. there's plenty of evidence to support the idea that badspot is just bored with the game in general, but none to show that we're pestering him too much or that he needs a "break" from developing for bl.

I think that in general it's kind of annoying when you speak on behalf of someone you know literally nothing about.

I think that in general it's kind of annoying when you speak on behalf of someone you know literally nothing about.

I guess it is.