Author Topic: Move Forward Command  (Read 2986 times)

Hello, I am just wondering if there is a command that allows you to just
move forward from the console. That is pretty much all I am asking for.

Searching is a great way to find out stuff without making topics

moveForward(number from 0.1 to 1);

Ah, thanks.

er, moveForward is meant to just take a boolean
nonetheless, you could still just use a float from 0 to 1 since it directly sets the value, as in:

function moveForward( %value )
{
    $mvForwardAction = %value;
}

er, moveForward is meant to just take a boolean
No it's not?

No it's not?

Yes it is, considering that it's used with actionMap::bind, which just calls it's callbacks with a key state boolean.

Yes it is, considering that it's used with actionMap::bind, which just calls it's callbacks with a key state boolean.
Then why does moveForward(0.5); make me move forward at half speed
wat

Then why does moveForward(0.5); make me move forward at half speed
wat

Because it naively sets $mvForwardSpeed to the first parameter without checking it.

Booleans are the same as 1.0 and 0.0 in torque. Just because the actionMap only passes in a true or false doesn't mean the function can't or shouldn't take a value other than 1 or 0.

Booleans are the same as 1.0 and 0.0 in torque. Just because the actionMap only passes in a true or false doesn't mean the function can't or shouldn't take a value other than 1 or 0.

I know they are, but just because you can do something doesn't mean it's something you should do. If you're manually changing speeds, what is the reason to add another function to the call stack anyway? Just set $mvForwardSpeed directly.