Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 652 times)

Loved be the ones who sit.

If you make dinner and there is food left over that you can save and eat later, do so in a manner that you do not eat the same dish too often.
This is achieved by following the two rules of yesterdays meal; 1. Do not eat the previous dish twice in a row. 2. Do not eat the previous dish at the same time of the day.
By following these two rules you will not eat the same stuff too often.

Seals are strange beings.

Tanks. Water tanks. That is why you call them tanks, not because they are tanks.
Tanks were developed and first used in combat by the British during World War I as a means to break the deadlock of trench warfare. They were first deployed at the Battle of Somme in limited numbers. During construction, to conceal their true identity as weapons, they were designated as water carriers for the Mesopotamian campaign and referred to as "tanks" (as in "water tank").
The word tank was first applied to the British "landships" in 1915, before they entered service, to keep their nature secret. There are at least three possible explanations of the precise origin of the term:

1. One is it first arose in British factories making the hulls of the first battle tanks: workmen and possible spies were to be given the impression they were constructing mobile water tank for the British Army, hence keeping the production of a fighting vehicle secret.[16]
   2. Another is the term was first used in a secret report on the new motorised weapon presented to Winston Churchill, then First Lord of the Admiralty, by British Army Lt.-Col. Ernest Swinton. From this report, three possible terms emerged: cistern, motor-war car, and tank. Apparently tank was chosen due to its linguistic simplicity.[54]
   3. Perhaps the most compelling story comes from Churchill's authoritative biography. To disguise the device, drawings were marked "water carriers for Russia." When it was pointed out this might be shortened to "WCs for Russia," the drawings were changed to "water tanks for Russia." Eventually the weapon was just called a tank.[55]

The word "tank" was adopted in most of the languages, including Russian. Some countries, however, use different names. In Germany, tanks are usually referred to as "Panzer" (lit. "armour"), a shortened form of the full term "Panzerkampfwagen", literally "armoured fighting vehicle". In the Arab world, tanks are called Dabbāba (after a type of siege engine). In Italian, they're called "carri armati" (lit. "armed wagons"), without reference to their armour.
Calling them "tanks" is stupid. Sorry.

What do you think? What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:55:55 AM by Nymethus »

Nymethus is one strange brother.

Nymethus is one strange brother.
Älskade vare de som sätter sig <3

Did you know that the game?

Did you know that the game?
I was not aware that it did in such a way. Interesting.

~WhatevaGuy

Have you ever thought about someone doing something unnecessary and strange for no reason without anyone caring, or even wondering about it?

Have you ever thought about someone doing something unnecessary and strange for no reason without anyone caring, or even wondering about it?
I'm confused D:

I want a tornado siren as my ringtone. Or the tripod sound from the 2005 remake of War of the Worlds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doO-8KtoQYM&feature=related
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:23:49 PM by Man 2 »

I want rain as alarm signal

I want a security system with silence as its alarm and keep my TV on all the time and if a robber comes I'll know because of the nothing.

I wonder why bees are so silly

they're so silly

I wonder why bees are so silly

they're so silly
they must think they're termites cause' they dig holes in wood :o

Can you make a paradox with an anagram by having the last letter be the anagram while making sense, like Somebody Is Noticing S.I.N.S.