Author Topic: Help site for ant infestation falls for an old trick (warning: picture of a bug)  (Read 888 times)

I came across this website while looking for ant closeups to compare to the SimAnt splash screen. The site seems legit, it tells you about carpenter ant infestations and how to deal with them, and provides some images at the top for identification. But wait a minute.

This site has fallen for a trick that existed before there was a book to put it in. That's not an ant. That bug depicted is part of the most adorable family of spiders (I'm not kidding when I say that), jumping spiders (no, seriously). I could tell almost immediately that something was up by looking at the eyes. Ants do not look that cute. Nor do they have fangs. And they also have antennae. As for the spider, I don't quite know what species it is, but it's part of the ant mimicking genus. Here's a full body shot of the spider, and here's what a carpenter ant looks like. And if you were wondering, the SimAnt splash depicts a carpenter ant as well.

I don't know if you guys got a laugh out of this, but I did. Thought I might as well share it.

they do look pretty similar in the images you linked
but the one at the top doesn't look at all like an ant

Don't spiders eat ants?

also i would not have love with that spider or anything because i already did
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:02:06 AM by Sami2ss »

im just busting my gut laughing right now

Don't spiders eat ants?
Some do. Usually the ones that go undercover as ants.

i could just imagine:

oh hey guys, i'm totally not a spiderOOOMMOONOMMNMNMNMNOM lol i eated u

I have a phobia for bugs except like those rollie pollie things and just bugs I am assimilated to. But anything else loving scares the living stuff out of me. Now ants do cause you showed me that picture

"hey dude sup. you look sorta weird, you sure you're an ant?"
"oh yeah man I am, I just got this disorder man, I don't like to talk about it"
and then he eats the queen

little did he know it was an eating disorder!!!

/personwhodoesn'tgetthejoke

also i would not have love with that spider or anything because i already did

I woul...eih well maybe not

It doesn't really work like that

You saw how many ants were in the queen's chamber, right? A spider would not even get the chance to eat the queen.