Poll

Is it wrong?

Yes.
4 (66.7%)
No.
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Waterboarding: is it wrong?  (Read 527 times)

I had to pick an ethics final today to work on and I was going to to abortion but someone already took that one.
So I picked the next easiest one.
Waterboarding: Is it wrong?

Basically I have to give facts and arguments supporting both sides, then say which one I'd choose.

For those of you who dont know what waterboarding is, it is when you are strapped or held down on some platform
You are then tilted to that your head is below your chest.
They then sometimes cover your mouth but sometimes they dont. They then start dumping/pouring water on your face and body. Your mouth sinuses and trachea are flooded with water. They do this until you are A) Either about to throw up B) Go unconscious or C) Give them what they want
After the water floods into your sinuses and trachea your lungs collapse and water is drawn toward your lungs, but your coughing keeps the water near your mouth. They use to mainly to interrogate terrorists.
Oh and I believe the Navy Seals are waterboarded
This wont really affect you too bad physically but mentally it is aweful.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:09:25 PM by SlayerZ99 »

This is obviously loving torture.

I will have to decide which side I agree with. :I
I mean, the process is horrible, but the information we could/have gained is helpful.

The temporary pain of one individual to save hundreds. It's loving worth it.

The temporary pain of one individual to save hundreds. It's loving worth it.
But it is torture yes?

This is obviously loving torture.
This.

I'd like to see an argument for this not being torture.

I will have to decide which side I agree with. :I
I mean, the process is horrible, but the information we could/have gained is helpful.
It can both be torture *and* valuable for research. But I don't see what research (that actually matters) this affects.

It is torture, but it is useful.
Maybe I should ask the question: Is waterboarding wrong or right?
This.

I'd like to see an argument for this not being torture.
It can both be torture *and* valuable for research. But I don't see what research (that actually matters) this affects.
Information about other attacks/whos behind them/where they are.

Obviously torture, but who cares if we torture people if its to get information and what not. I've always thought that saying "Kill one, save a thousand" was a good one and this isn't even killing them.

I don't think the real debate is if it's torture or not, but weather it should be used or not.

I mean if it wasn't torture it probably wouldn't work.

its a bit cold for surfing