Author Topic: External Game Capture Devices, do they lag much?  (Read 1639 times)

I've been using FRAPs for a while and have noticed considerable lag when filming something. This is common. I'm guessing this is because it's using the computer's own memory at the same time which drops FPS majorly.

Would an external game capture device do the same thing to my computer, or would it be faster since it's an external device not completely relying on the computer's power?

If you're using roxio, I thought they had some software that records it for you?
What capture card are you using

If you're using roxio, I thought they had some software that records it for you?
What capture card are you using
I'm using FRAPs. I've been considering buying a game capture card, however

I'm using FRAPs. I've been considering buying a game capture card, however
how are you recording an external device with a recorder for pc
what

how are you recording an external device with a recorder for pc
what
no
im asking if game capture devices would lag up the footage just as much as fraps would

no
im asking if game capture devices would lag up the footage just as much as fraps would
ooooooh
I doubt it

Game capture devices do not lag consoles. Mine just takes the video input from a console and outputs it into my TV and computer.

Game capture devices do not lag consoles. Mine just takes the video input from a console and outputs it into my TV and computer.
It wouldn't lag a PC, would it?

It depends if the display is going through the capture card and on the computer's display, that causes display lag in most cases. Otherwise, no.

I been actually wondering about this. Do external (or internal?) game capture devices (for consoles or otherwise) for PC even work, or are there any Pci-E cards on the same basis? Or something?


Yeah fraps lags you because it's running on the system. An external card should get better frames because all the hardware is in the card so it doesn't waste resources.