Author Topic: What constitutes animal cruelty in your opinion  (Read 1697 times)

In my opinion animal cruelty pretty much consists of beating an animal. Holding a pet against its will could be considered a cruel thing to do, but not animal cruelty. As far as sticking his hand into its bed and 'blending' it, is he actually hitting the cat or just trying to scoop it up and it's trying not to be picked up?

On one level, I think you should try to replace that cat with a stuffed animal or something for him. On another level I think that developing a strong connection with a pet could be a really good thing for him. I think you should only take it away if he's actually hurting the cat, intentionally or not. Either that or if the cat starts hating him.

If the cat is suffering then yes its cruel.

Speaking of what constitutes AC, people are set off by anything surprisingly.

I am 15 too like your brother, and I have mild Aspergers. I know people with Autism, and I know that it can really impair someone - but for the sake of this cat I think your best bet is to give the cat away unless you or your parents can teach him how to handle a living thing. Autistic people don't comprehend much, but some understand things visually rather than understanding something said. Then again, pets are very good for people with neurological and/or developmental disabilities as they are extremely therapeutic.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:41:14 PM by Caribou »

I'm going on 18 and have very mild Asperger's.  Very borderline because I'm really bad at socializing in real life and I can get fidgety (flicking and holding things, wringing my hands, etc).  My oldest 1st cousin has severe autism and has had a small-medium sized family dog for a long time now.  Tmk, there have been few to no issues.  He has also been to my house a couple times (a lot of animals) with absolutely no issues.  His condition gives him a speech impediment and massive social problems (practically can't socialize at all), but his intelligence is far ahead of his peers.

My point: I'm guessing your brother is pretty smart (relatively speaking).  He can't use something related to intelligence as an excuse for autism, because autism does not block out things mind related.

Keep that cat away from him for its sake.

Autistic people don't comprehend much, but some understand things visually rather than understanding something said.
i have autism and can handle a cat like a non-starfish

i have autism and can handle a cat like a non-starfish
There are varying levels of autism
to my understanding it's most commonly a social disability
I think he has the social disability, because his 'learning disability" is complete laziness. Whenever my parents try to help him with ANYTHING, he acts like an starfish the entire time and acts like he knows it all
he reads at like a 3rd grade level, as a freshman in highschool.

No progress on obtaining any proof today, lots of chores and school work to make up for