Author Topic: What is the Secret to Making Beautiful Trees?  (Read 1320 times)

Treebuilding seems to be some complex skill that only a select few people seem to understand. Are any of you guys here good at doing it? If so, could you perhaps show me how to make an acacia tree with a low brickcount? I've tried several times, but I never made anything decent. Also, it would be really nice if you could share some of your techniques. Thanks!

use rounds
i'd advise against this until you can actually build blocky trees first, using plates and bricks. until you can pull off something decent using those any attempt at using rounds will probably kill the look.

imo the best way to get a tree done, with detail, is to build the tree trunk, branches, etc in the shape I want, then fill it out with leaves, adding extra branches where necessary. this can be done using many different sizes and thicknesses of bricks to raise or lower the detail level.

a recognizable acacia tree probably can't be done with a low brickcount, unless you're just going for the general shape.

a recognizable acacia tree probably can't be done with a low brickcount, unless you're just going for the general shape.

Yeah, I'm just going for a basic shape so I can edit/duplicate it for a small map.

Try working on the x2 grid for the bark, that's always helped me, also I generally use these bricks for building it:

Tree building is easy for me..

Do you want a save of 3-4 trees?

Tree building is easy for me..

Do you want a save of 3-4 trees?

I already have several kinds already for my personal reference. I have a willow, a bare tree, a pine, and a "fantastic tree." Care to clarify as to what they are? Any trees that would fit into a savanna are what I'm looking for (hence the OP looking for acacias), but I guess any other kinds would be good for studying purposes.

for desert-type trees, just trim down the ones you have so they have less leaves and the leaf bunches don't connect together to form a contiguous cover. i'm assuming your willow reference is the one from [pd]; in that case trim that down and you should have something you want.

Keep it simple, really.

I like the trees that make use of cubes, and taller bricks most.

i like more scaled size trees to our blocko guys
bigger. also gives you more room for detail and to make them look different.

i like more scaled size trees to our blocko guys
bigger. also gives you more room for detail and to make them look different.

While I would agree with you, I don't exactly have the space for big trees. I'll pull up better size examples from some past stuff I've made/people have made for me.

I use ramps, only ramps, for the trunk, branches and roots.
Then depending on how lag-free you need them, I use 2x2 round bricks or 4x4 cubes.

Trees are nature, so they are never symmetric.

anyone knows knows my building style knows i looooove round brick spam :D