Author Topic: How would you make a melee based combat system "fun"?  (Read 568 times)

in any game were you could choose between magic/projectile and melee that i've played, the former always seems to progress exponentially while melee tends to either rely on extreme stat amplification or else it'd gimp the player. what i want to know is how you guys would handle this issue, and i don't mean as in the eyelander in tf2 where you get rewarded for beheading people, i mean as in making the melee mechanics both simple to understand yet deep as a whole.

one idea that i had was a simple three button bar system:
theres three basic actions for each weapon (or less) and depending on how long you've held on, you'd get either three results: a brief attack, a basic attack, and a delayed attack, and some weapons, like a mace, requires to held down to the basic or delayed stage to attack. you can also attach magic effects to each one aswell: you could apply a corrosive acid effect on a sword's brief attack (a swift stab) to puncture armor, or an electric effect on a knife to effectively make a taser.

Any thoughts?

also here's a general list of melee weapons as a whole: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Melee_weapons

I'm really not sure how'd the flail would work

My idea for melee-based combat has always been using physics, a la Toribash, only with more weapons.