Author Topic: Quoth the raven;  (Read 2260 times)

Anything industrial or productive. Really the only value poetry has outside of personal happiness (which means nothing to anyone else) is as a measure of a society's artistic expansion and when evaluating a society their art is not really as important as their actual physical achievements. Instead of reading the Raven I can be doing something that actually improves my life or the life of others, such as this discussion on the personal and societal value of poetry.
Try insulting me again. Calling me edgy for not liking poetry is an invalid insult.
youre a monday for saying that lol
if you think that as a society we're only supposed to be advancing by means of physical achievement and structural progression then you dont understand what a society is
poetry is gay af imo and i dont read that stuff but ill assert the notion with the firm belief in its truth that poetry among other forms of art are just as important as many other physical achievements

how is that [industrial or productive]??

It's an active discussion. It helps anyone involve improve their critical thinking and debate skills.

Okay, choose between an Earth with art, games, personal enjoyment, and free thought; or a Borg-like hive mind which is perfectly honed towards the advancement of industrial and productive ends.  Would you really choose purely "industrial or productive" over the Earth we have now?

No. I didn't say that people should be purely industrial. I said that poetry is a waste of time.

Whenever I see The Raven, I always think of the Simpsons episode where there is a narrator reading it. That guy's voice was so perfect for it, even if I do loathe poetry of all sorts.

It's an active discussion. It helps anyone involve improve their critical thinking and debate skills.

but do active discussions on the internet bring dinner to the table? do they pay the BILLS??