Author Topic: Dear Server Hosters.  (Read 1686 times)

It's quite accurate, you've got to admit sending billions of impulses at about 0.5 volts isn't going to cost much it might sound big but each impulse is almost 1/1000 of a second so it does'nt consume much energy.
Unless you have a vast knowledge of physics and how the entire internet system works with ISPs and electrical wires that we don't know about, no, it's not "quite accurate."

Unless you have a vast knowledge of physics and how the entire internet system works with ISPs and electrical wires that we don't know about, no, it's not "quite accurate."
I am quite aware of how electricity works, which is the base for the Internet. I don't suppose you have something to prove otherwise do you?

It's quite accurate, you've got to admit sending billions of impulses at about 0.5 volts isn't going to cost much it might sound big but each impulse is almost 1/1000 of a second so it does'nt consume much energy.
ok if each impulse is .5 volts and they last 1/1000th of a second thats 500 volts a second

times that by billions and you get a lot of used energy

but that's just me playing along with your argument so ueah

I'm 14  :panda:

You have not even started studying the most basic part of electricity in physics.

The main reason people buy a VPS or use a dedicated server is for reliability. My internet speed is around 30 MB/s which should, in theory, be enough to host several dedicated servers.
My internet, however, is shared throughout the entire house. In total we have 2 Xboxes, a Wii, 4 computers, and 4 smartphones running off of the same connection. If one of these devices decides to install an update, somebody decides to stream a Movie, or install a game on Steam any server I would be running would get a massive increase in latency.
My computer is more than capable of handling 50+ players but I would have to leave it running 24/7, drastically increasing my energy usage and my electricity bills.
exactly my problem, i have great internet but it is barely reliable. i COULD host a server, but then if someone decides to do something then bam massive lag for the players.

I thought you would be happy to hear that electricity is cheap.

oh yeah im definitely set to host a server

I am quite aware of how electricity works, which is the base for the Internet. I don't suppose you have something to prove otherwise do you?
Knowing how electricity works =/= being able to accurately measure the cost of sending a packet from point a to point b

im here to buy internets!!!

Anyone who is serious about hosting something gets a VPS. I suggest NFO, they get their data directly from upstream providers and are all around a very good and reliable option. Cheap for what they provide as well.

https://www.nfoservers.com/

BlockNet provides managed hosting that is not only cheaper, but uses higher quality servers than NFO provides. It also removes the hassle of managing a VPS because we do it for you. Also has the anti crash hack pre-installed, and has faster computational performance than windows VPS's. With all of those considered, I don't see how having a VPS has any advantage unless you're hosting more than just Blockland.

Don't forget the costs of building and maintaining the fiber connections

ok if each impulse is .5 volts and they last 1/1000th of a second thats 500 volts a second

times that by billions and you get a lot of used energy
Energy usage isn't measured in volts

Energy usage isn't measured in volts
i understand that, I was just pointing out the flaw in his argument by playing along with it.

Everyone knows energy is measured in joules.

forget am I reading?

Everyone knows energy is measured in Joules.

This man is the only one here who has posted anything true in the last page.  Other than the "everyone knows" part, but everyone knows what that really means.

Headcrab is right. Locking since this is just turning into a big arguement.