Author Topic: I want to upgrade my PC.  (Read 752 times)

My PC is getting pretty loud, I want to be able to play some more hardware intensive games. Currently games like minecraft and fallout 3/nv are quite laggy.

What should I do to upgrade my PC, I want to be set for games for the next few years. Should I also get a new CPU?

This computer (the tower) was bought prebuilt, I shoved the hard drive from my old computer into the second hard drive area and cleared it and am using it for extra storage space should I ever need it. (i may use it for steam if it ends up being easy to do so)

If you need any other info just ask

I have a pc with worse specs and minecraft doesn't lag for me

Are you sure you don't have a virus?

I have a pc with worse specs and minecraft doesn't lag for me

Are you sure you don't have a virus?
Malwarebytes comes up with nothing and I haven't downloaded anything suspicious. Minecraft doesn't lag a lot, it's just a low frame rate that sometimes lags. Also note I have not modded minecraft.

Minecraft was made in java. I mean, what can you REALLY expect?

Minecraft isn't my only focus.

Other games with questionable performance include unturned, starbound, dolphin (gamecube) emulator, DeSmuME (DS) emulator, GTA IV, Bully at rare occurances, Mafia II, probably more that I can't think off the bat
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:16:43 PM by Crispy_ »

Storage is good, RAM might be ok, but im not sure what the brand is. Might be generic prebuilt stuff but its still 8gb, so that saves a good $80
If you're looking to play new games at max or near max for the next few years, its going to cost you a bit.
You will need to ditch the CPU and motherboard
I suggest also getting a new case, because im sure the one you have has eh airflow
You will also need to buy a new CPU cooler, but those are cheap if you don't go top of the line or closed loop.
Because the PSU is as bare minimum as they can go, you will need a new one of those.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JYfXZL

Suggested setup
Case is up to you

970 will do you well for quite some time. The 650w will be more than enough for everything there, and may be enough to put in a second 970 if you even want to.

Nice, I'll be sure to check those out.

Oh, look, we have the same hard disk drive!

OT:
Buy my AMD Phenom II X6 1045t with a generic HP-Elite motherboard. Cooler that keeps it below 40C for normal operation included. It has one PCI x4 slot, 3 PCI x1 slots. It can hold up to 32GB of RAM (4 slots) and I'll throw in 8GB (4x2GB) of DDR3 for a little extra $80 onto the original combo price of $175. PM me, anyone who's interested.what is this, craigslist?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JYfXZL
That is a very lovey case, so I'll probably go with the one you suggested anyway, unless there is an as good cheaper alternative case. Gotta go cheap as I can!

I don't know what the obsession with fractal cases is. NZXT S340 all the way.

I don't know what the obsession with fractal cases is. NZXT S340 all the way.

They have simple sleek look to them. Plus they are all around reliable.
Same goes for Corsairs obsidian series.

i'm p sure your cpu is holding you back. could use some better graphics, but the games that you play don't require very much.