Author Topic: Why do people use "its in the past"  (Read 674 times)

seriously why do people use the exuse "its in the past, get over it". Like are they saying that nothing in the past should matter?

just a question

in my opinion it depends on the situation, holding grudges is petty and if it's over something small then you need to get over it
of course if they're a problem user or crash servers then they can go forget themselves, they don't deserve the game and there's no excuse at all for it
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:53:35 AM by Maxwell. »

Once something has been done its been done, no point fretting over it or holding grudges.

It's childish to hold a grudge, indeed. But saying that what happened shouldn't matter anymore is stupid.
In the end it's a stupid phrase because many people deal with i.g depression for whatever reason, and that's sometimes because of reasons in the past.

Too many people take phrases exactly as they're spoken, and not how they're meant.

The point is to not let the past forget with your present or your future. There's no reason to let it hold you back. Unfortunately, too many people are obsessed with old wounds.

There's no point crying over spilt milk.

Similar phrase, similar meaning, perhaps easier to understand.
Spilling milk is a trivial problem. It can easily be cleaned up and replaced. There's no use in getting worked up over it, you should just carry on as normal, as it's not going to affect you any more.

The same thing can be said for "It's in the past".
It's in the past, so it's not going to affect you any more. Therefore, why bother getting worked up over it, since you won't be changing or preventing anything and you'll just be getting yourself angry.

Of course there are exceptions. There are things that are such an issue that they still carry on to be an issue in the present, or they caused you serious pain/trouble.
Or in regards to other people, their actions are likely to be repeated in the future.
That might be the distinction really, whether someone actively did something bad, or if they made a mistake.
Normally you can trust someone not to make the same mistake twice.

Once something has been done its been done, no point fretting over it or holding grudges.
Oh yeah some guy murdered my girlfriend, but it's OK, it was in the past!

Oh yeah some guy murdered my girlfriend, but it's OK, it was in the past!
lol that's not rly what holding a grudge is

the diff about holding a grudge is that it stops you from acknowledging the present reality in favour of holding on to childish preconceptions and old memories which are almost certainly non-representative of the current state of the person at hand
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:29:25 AM by otto-san »

zedrow got bant for it

because they're stupid and don't realize that there are consequences for their actions

it's what i say when people will not stop crying about 9/11