Author Topic: Today in Stupid: The UK outlaws computers  (Read 4823 times)

*looks around for police*
"oi you" "want some itunes gift cards or unused OS keys"

god loving dammit which country is safe

uhhh finland? sweden? germany?
In my opinion none of them.

I don't actually pretend to know that much about the law, but I know it's a lot deeper than the way you portray it which is basically "duuuh all computers r illegal now" which is not the case. Articles always try and exaggerate and people always fall for their tactics to gain viewers. Feeble are you to actually believe any member of parliament would make a decision supposedly so stupid without having good reasons to. Your lack of knowledge of the law is shown by the fact that you think it is recent when it has actually existed since the birth of the computer and digital data, and how it has never been used against the population of the United Kingdom.
I'm not exaggerating one bit, sorry, and yes this is recent. Research shows that the law was changed from legal to illegal on June 19 this year, so this article was made just under 2 months late. It was illegal until last year, then made legal, and on June 19th made illegal again.

I'm saying this is a stupid decision because it has stupid implications and doesn't even cause losses for artists or copyright holders. You're right, I'm not a legal expert, but I know enough to draw the conclusions that I did. It's good to note that the article says several of the things I mentioned: "The IPO specifically notes that copying a CD to an MP3 player is not permitted. This means that iTunes’ popular ripping feature, which Apple actively promotes during the software’s installation, is illegal.

Also, under the current law iTunes is actively facilitating copyright infringement by promoting their CD-ripping functionality. This means that the company could face significant claims for damages."

"“…it includes creating back-ups without permission from the copyright holder as this necessarily involves an act of copying,” we were informed by the Government spokesperson."

And using this information I logically derived a few more implications on top of the already ridiculous and confirmed implications. If there's some confusion, I can add a small clarification like "If you don't have explicit stated permission to do the following (Many of them don't), all these are illegal." In fact, I'm going to add that in now.

You never answered my question either.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:06:05 PM by Ipquarx »

I wonder what our forums authoritarian enablers have to say about this.

I'm not exaggerating one bit, sorry
I said articles exaggerate.

I'm saying this is a stupid decision because it has stupid implications and doesn't even cause losses for artists or copyright holders.
They made it illegal again because copyright holders complained? Did you even read my post? Parliament would not choose to do this otherwise.

You never answered my question either.
I did, I said they have their reasons to make it illegal again which makes it not stupid.