Author Topic: Anyone know anything about old currency?  (Read 935 times)

So my grandfather is moving into assisted living next weekend, and I was helping him move stuff from his old house. One of those items was a safe containing bunch of old currency, which he gave to me. Nothing real special was in there besides like 50 old US proof sets from the 60s and 70s, but one of the more intriguing items in there was this value back banknote from 1882.

Does anyone have any knowledge on banknotes and what I could possibly expect to get if I pawned it or sold it online? I found a similar one from Charlotte that sold for $7500 but that's a big city and it was probably in higher demand than most notes.

The note is still crisp and has minimal wrinkles, but was folded into quarters at one point which may depreciate the value.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:46:48 PM by Ravencroft· »

i'd be surprised if you didn't get over $1000 for it

here's an organization that grades paper money, might be worth checking out
https://www.pmgnotes.com/submit/services-fees/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:56:14 PM by Nonnel »

All I know is that it isn't current, see?

here's an organization that grades paper money, might be worth checking out
https://www.pmgnotes.com/submit/services-fees/
Yeah that's exactly what I did. I emailed the owners of Stack's and Bower's about an hour ago and they got back to me literally 7 minutes later offering me $750. Seems a little odd that they wouldn't even want to know about the condition or anything. I'll get second opinions from the site you gave me as well as a nearby coin shop. I definitely don't want to get stiffed if this thing turns out be worth like $2000 or something. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:12:59 PM by Ravencroft· »

seems like it should be worth about 5 dollars

Don't let the government get a hold of that stuff they will shred it on you.

Some man had a real 1,000 dollar bill in his wallet, he got arrested for an unrelated traffic violation. The police loving sent it to the government and they just shred it on him,

That stuff is a collectible.

damn, that's really cool!

I'm more of a coin guy but this is neat

Don't let the government get a hold of that stuff they will shred it on you.

Some man had a real 1,000 dollar bill in his wallet, he got arrested for an unrelated traffic violation. The police loving sent it to the government and they just shred it on him,

That stuff is a collectible.
I guess I won't drive drunk with old banknotes in my pocket then

The guy from Stack's and Bower's emailed me again after I told him I'd like to get a second opinion before accepting the deal. He upped the offer to $900. Really fishy to me, almost as if he's hiding the fact that it's worth a lot more than what I'm being offered.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:39:43 PM by Ravencroft· »

If only you had 50 of those amirite.

you could submit a picture of it here
http://www.nationalcurrencyvalues.com/1882-5-dollar-little-falls-national-bank-2406-new-york-1879.html
Wow nice find. I wasn't abe to find a site that dealt with my specific note. I'll have to contact them too.