Author Topic: Windows failing to read certian DVD's  (Read 805 times)

So I recently bought Mass Effect for PC and tried to install it. issue is once I put it in my CD drive and close it after a few seconds of trying to read it the drive start making a grinding-like noise. it's not a harsh grind more of a soft vibrating grind but it refuses to read the disk.

I've had this happen before with a movie and I think I had it happen another time too.
The copy of Mass Effect is in a European EA value games case, so I'm guessing it's a euro copy.
The CD drive is a LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S according to windows.

Find the drive in the device manager. Go to properies -> DVD Region. You can change the region a set number of times, so don't keep switching back and forth or you'll run out.

Just tried that and it wouldn't work. It seems that I require the DVD in the drive to change the Region, but the issue is is that the drive doesn't see the DVD but is trying to read it.

Pft, technology.

You should return it and get a US copy.

Can't really, I bought it used from a guy in Sweden so I guess I can return it but I probably won't get a US copy.

My old thread on Facepunch died, so I decided I'd ask here. Never hurts to have more support.

I don't think it's the region, as I've installed European game copys before. The issue is it seems Windows takes forever to read the Disk while spinning it fast, making the "grinding" noise.

The movie I referred to, it worked once but refused to anymore after that.

I have this problem because my computer doesnt have a DVD drive only a CD drive and most games are on DVDs :o

I have this problem because my computer doesnt have a DVD drive only a CD drive and most games are on DVDs :o
CD-DVD drive for me.

i think i only have CD-ROM drive
because whenever i put a blank CD in there is just goes insane

i think i only have CD-ROM drive
because whenever i put a blank CD in there is just goes insane
Same here.

I've got 2 DVD writer drives in my PC.

*gives one to zackin*

EDIT: Holy stuff, I just learnt one of them is a labelflash one. 0.0 woot.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 05:10:01 PM by Ethan »

*gives one to zackin*

does that mean we can derail the thread with RPing now?

No because my monitor's teleport function is broke.

But I'm going to try and copy the DVD's contents onto a USB stick and try to install it from there.