Poll

What's the highest amount you'd pay for private, stable hosting?

I wouldn't.
2 (15.4%)
~5 bucks a month.
4 (30.8%)
~10
3 (23.1%)
~20
3 (23.1%)
>20
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Would anyone want private hosting? | Also, related stock market success.  (Read 345 times)

As for the first part of the title, I'll get to that in the moment, because the second leads into the first.

So.
Stock market win.
In 2 days, my friend made 750 dollars in Zynga stock. They were looking for an opportunity to move their money elsewhere, so they sold the stock and he made a 750 dollar profit, like I said. He's currently putting some of the money into some other companies, but the rest he's using for a project he and I are doing.
We're going to buy a server computer (the rack kind) and rent space for it here in Los Angeles. This brings me to my question, and the first part of the title.
If we were to create successful private hosting:
1. Would you be interested in hosting a website/Minecraft server/anything?
2. If yes, what's the highest amount you'd be willing to pay a month? We have to factor in everything due to the price of bandwidth and the renting of the space.
3. If you're interested, what do you think you'd want to host? Minecraft? A website? Post here.
I'll put up a poll in a moment.

your friend did good
yeah man
he's gonna invest in a few other companies with the money he made
we might also start buying these really good lollipops for 45 bucks for 120 of them and sell em for a dollar each
although we need a permit at our school...
we might just make it a fundraiser for our game design club

Only $750?  Might go even higher.

Do only daytrading though.  Long-term investments are very volatile unless you know for a fact that they are stable, and very few are.  That's what I do, just jump stock-to-stock every day.  Look towards Facebook, even if people will clobber and trample over it.  It's going to fly through the roof because everyone will be investing in it.

Only $750?  Might go even higher.

Do only daytrading though.  Long-term investments are very volatile unless you know for a fact that they are stable, and very few are.  That's what I do, just jump stock-to-stock every day.  Look towards Facebook, even if people will clobber and trample over it.  It's going to fly through the roof because everyone will be investing in it.
Yep.
He's considering doing tyson motors (not sure why) and facebook

based upon the current results I'd price the hosting at around 10-15 bucks a month
we're not sure how much the space for the server costs yet, so hmm