Author Topic: Help with making a network access point on an Airport Extreme 802.11g!  (Read 639 times)

So, here's the deal: I want to set up my own network access point that connects to the internet but my airport (802.11g) is NOT connected to our family's router with a wire. Here's a connection diagram:

My Airport->My Computer->Family's Airport (802.11n 5thGeneration)->Router

How can I make my airport connect to my router using my family's airport so my access point gets internet?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:33:08 PM by ScratchTehEPICSpaceDude »

Uh, setting your computer up as a DMZ bridge is complex and risky. Just use a wifi extender.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:58:49 PM by Axolotl »

Uh, setting your computer up as a DMZ bridge is complex. Just use a wifi extender.

Ok, I am using WDS. I got it! But unfortunately, it appears I need to use the family airport's network access point's name in order for it to work. Is there a way around that?

No, use Ethernet cables for the main router>your computer>family router.

But my dad doesn't want to mess around with the cables. We have HORRIBLE internet service.

so what exactly is the apple airport stuff. i mean you say you already have a router, why would you want to bridge another?

so what exactly is the apple airport stuff. i mean you say you already have a router, why would you want to bridge another?

For better network connectivity.

For better network connectivity.

better? i just looked it up
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

it looks like JUST a router. with the same speeds anyone could buy many brands with.

But my dad doesn't want to mess around with the cables. We have HORRIBLE internet service.
A router can not transmit and receive at the same time on Wi-Fi.

Is this what you're trying to do?

Is this what you're trying to do?

Yes, but I already done it with WDS. Unfortunately I can't change the name or password because that would render the network inoperable.

Question: Since AirPort Express only has one Ethernet port, does it act as a LAN port, WAN port, or both?
Answer: Depending on how you have it set up, the Ethernet port can function as a LAN port (defined as either simple bridging or sharing your Internet connection via network address translation) or a WAN port (connecting to your broadband Internet service provider or upstream router). However, it never acts as both simultaneously. By default the AirPort Express Ethernet port acts as a WAN port. When it is set up as a secondary extended Wi-Fi base station, it can act as a LAN port. Assuming that your Internet service provider only gives you one IP address (the most common scenario for homes), this means that AirPort Express can only accommodate wired clients when acting as an extender or bridge. Therefore, if you need to support wired clients and only want to get one base station (or router, as it's the routing capacity of AirPort Express that is relevant here), you should get the AirPort Extreme Base Station or Time Capsule instead.
If your computer is wired to the router that connects to your family's router, you can do it.

If your computer is wired to the router that connects to your family's router, you can do it.
I already did with WDS.

Wait, so then what do you need?

Wait, so then what do you need?
Nothing anymore. Leaving this unlocked if anyone wants to do this and needs help.