Author Topic: Dedicated Server ONLY w/o Registering?  (Read 1298 times)

Hey guys. Is there any way possible to host a dedicated server without purchasing a second license? This machine would be hosting only as my home machine does not have the bandwidth for the number of people that would be connected. This server will never actually run the full retail game, only the console-based server.

Any ideas? Badspot, do you support this?

edit: And as a second question... if I DO have to put a key on the server, how do I set it? I cannot actually launch the game as the server does not have a 3D accelerator. I get some message saying "Input key via setKey...". How can I do this?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:18:18 PM by thebeaz »

You don't need a second license, the dedicated server uses the same files, you can join your own server, or visit someone else's at the same time. No fuss.

Ah, well that's good. I still need to know how to set the key, as the actual full-blown game cannot be run on this particular machine (as I said, no 3D card). I've tried copying my key.dat, but that doesn't work. Any ideas on how to set the key via the command-line?

Actually, you might need a second license if the computers you run the game on are in different houses, or if they have different IP addresses. But on the key thing, I'm stumped, as I'm pretty sure Badspot cooked that up himself, because I haven't been able to find any documentation.

This is a Windows 2003 server on a bonded T1 internet connection. I will actually be playing the game (along with others) on a DIFFERENT computer. The machine would only run the dedicated server batch file.

So I guess I just need to wait for Badspot to see this! I won't mind paying for another key to support your work... other games usually offer up the dedicated server for free... so hopefully you have some recourse! :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 03:35:29 PM by thebeaz »

Badspot

• Administrator
You can run an unlimited number of dedicated servers on the same key. 

When you start a dedicated server that does not have a key.dat, it will prompt you to enter the key via setKey(AAAAA-1234-1234-1234);

You can run an unlimited number of dedicated servers on the same key. 

When you start a dedicated server that does not have a key.dat, it will prompt you to enter the key via setKey(AAAAA-1234-1234-1234);

Oh, haha, I didn't actually try typing that command into the console. It worked. Thanks, Badspot! :)