Author Topic: How does Upnp in Blockland work?  (Read 905 times)

I understand this might go in Help but I am not having any troubles, I am just wondering how it works. Does it make ports for you or does it do some alt. method like the Xbox and PS3 consoles?

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a set of networking protocols that permits networked devices, such as personal computers, printers, Internet gateways, Wi-Fi access points and mobile devices to seamlessly discover each other's presence on the network and establish functional network services for data sharing, communications, and entertainment. UPnP is intended primarily for residential networks without enterprise class devices.

UPnP uses UDP port 1900 and TCP port 2869.

-From Wikipedia

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a set of networking protocols that permits networked devices, such as personal computers, printers, Internet gateways, Wi-Fi access points and mobile devices to seamlessly discover each other's presence on the network and establish functional network services for data sharing, communications, and entertainment. UPnP is intended primarily for residential networks without enterprise class devices.

UPnP uses UDP port 1900 and TCP port 2869.

-From Wikipedia

Oooh, so this is most likely what the Xbox and PS3 use when "hosting" games no? If someone's router doesnt support this they wouldnt be able to host games then right lol? Do all routers nowadays have it or are they ESPENSIVE?

Oooh, so this is most likely what the Xbox and PS3 use when "hosting" games no? If someone's router doesnt support this they wouldnt be able to host games then right lol? Do all routers nowadays have it or are they ESPENSIVE?
I am pretty sure that nearly everything supports UPnP.

i still dont trust it 100%
i prefer to still forward ports manually instead of rely on upnp

i still dont trust it 100%
i prefer to still forward ports manually instead of rely on upnp

You shouldn't trust it at all, actually:

http://www.howtogeek.com/122487/htg-explains-is-upnp-a-security-risk/

You shouldn't download malware in the first place
Can't you get malware just by surfing the web?

You shouldn't download malware in the first place

thats like saying "just dont get cancer then"

i mean wtf lol. no one TRIES to download viruses.