Author Topic: a perfect example of cancer on both sides of the internet  (Read 662 times)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=265875920193855

not this page specifically (there's actually funny stuff on there), but generally anything that does nothing but bash tumblr feminists

i understand how their "thin privilege" stuff is stupid and annoying but a horse is dying because it's being beaten into the ground at the moment

i also agree with feminism on a purely non-tumblr level, because tumblr seems to attract handicaps like the loving plague, but i do think that just going on about "this fat chick is fat and ugly!!!!!!!" is p. unfunny at this point

I'd like to think that feminism is still a legitimate movement that fights for rights and doesn't just complain on the internet. But when you have a huge group of people identifying as feminists who do little actual activism besides complaining and arguing on tumblr, you can't say "Oh, they aren't /true/ feminists". They are feminists, that's just that's the way their movement has gone.

I'd like to think that feminism is still a legitimate movement that fights for rights and doesn't just complain on the internet. But when you have a huge group of people identifying as feminists who do little actual activism besides complaining and arguing on tumblr, you can't say "Oh, they aren't /true/ feminists". They are feminists, that's just that's the way their movement has gone.
yeah basically this has been my problem with the whole thing
There are plenty of perfectly sane people who consider themselves feminists, but the rest are just too loud, to pervasive

I'd like to think that feminism is still a legitimate movement that fights for rights and doesn't just complain on the internet.
"human rights activism"
"egalitarianism"


and that's about it for this thread lol

I'd like to think that feminism is still a legitimate movement that fights for rights and doesn't just complain on the internet. But when you have a huge group of people identifying as feminists who do little actual activism besides complaining and arguing on tumblr, you can't say "Oh, they aren't /true/ feminists". They are feminists, that's just that's the way their movement has gone.
This is my problem. Here's the feminism I like: "We want equal rights." Here's the stuff I don't like: "forget men. They're all loving pigs." Here's the stuff I also don't like, in conjuncture with the other stuff I don't like: "forget all feminists theyre fat loving bitch forgeters."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:32:05 AM by Candy Apple »

"human rights activism"
"egalitarianism"
I wouldn't call feminism egalitarianism because egalitarianism recognizes the rights of all people, not just different genders.

Here's the feminism I like: "We want equal rights." Here's the stuff I don't like: "forget men. They're all loving pigs."
I don't think there are many feminists who genuinely hate men. What I don't like about the movement is that on the internet it's centered around complaining about stuff that doesn't matter in the slightest(representation in media, abstrusely loveist stuff celebrities say, 'tropes against women in videogames') versus stuff that does (wage disparity, genital mutilation in Africa, universal women's suffrage). I've brought up this point to many people, and their general view is that it's better to both complain about media and try to solve real problems, but when I ask them to show me some 'internet activists' who do do both, they can't provide any seriously compelling examples.

I wouldn't call feminism egalitarianism because egalitarianism recognizes the rights of all people, not just different genders.
That was my point.


Any group that fights for 'equality' but only for one group of people is fundamentally flawed. Be it feminist or MRAs.


I don't think there are many feminists who genuinely hate men. What I don't like about the movement is that on the internet it's centered around complaining about stuff that doesn't matter in the slightest(representation in media, abstrusely loveist stuff celebrities say, 'tropes against women in videogames') versus stuff that does (wage disparity, genital mutilation in Africa, universal women's suffrage). I've brought up this point to many people, and their general view is that it's better to both complain about media and try to solve real problems, but when I ask them to show me some 'internet activists' who do do both, they can't provide any seriously compelling examples.
What I'm trying to say but better.