Does it suck to you?

Yeah.
41 (55.4%)
I'm neutral.
20 (27%)
No.
13 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: Why does the United States education system suck so much?  (Read 6541 times)

You know the school I'm in now has a mandatory study hour system, that is, everybody is assigned a number of hours that they have to spend after school in study hall, and that number is based on your grades. They're called "Tack Hours," and that's because of how they're read. For example, if you were assigned 15-2 as your study hours, you would be on "Fifteen Tack Twos," meaning you have to do 15 hours a week total, and 2 hours every day preceding a school day. Your total number of assigned hours is based on your GPA:

4.0 to 3.6: 0-0, "Zero Tack Zeroes" or "Vols"
3.59 to 3.3: 10-0, "Ten Tack Zeroes"
3.29 to 3.0: 15-2, "Fifteen Tack Twos"
2.75 to 2.99: 20-3, "Twenty Tack Threes"
>2.75 or after failing a test: 25-4,  "Twenty Five Tack Threes"

To be honest I think it's a really solid system. Your motivation for doing really well is more free time to forget around and do whatever, so the more time you spend paying attention and participating in class, the less time you have to be in the school building. If public school did something like this then I'm p sure most peoples' grades would improve just so they wouldn't be stuck at school longer than they had to.

I'm already doing what the job I want requires, just on a lighter level. Sound design. Recording, and applying via coding into video games. My school literally has NO classes for anything like that, and just about 1 computer class for the entire highschool. When you say 'schools are outdated w/ technology', mine is a prime example.

Any classes/electives I sign up for will literally just be because I have to take them, minus German maybe, because I like the class.

what? you think your education system sucks?

come to Brazil and you'll see whose education system REALLY sucks

that's how school works, it's better to be atleast somewhat well rounded as a person then to devote everything you've got into one career
especially if you want to go into a very quickly changing career like coding
though there needs to be much a more focus on technology in schools by now

I love my school actually pretty loving sweet it's not a regular high school tho, it's a technical highschool. What's pretty sweet is there is shops from cosmetology to welding to computer programming etc. So my favorite thing is i dont have academics all the time i have it like 90 days of the year so ya i'm pretty happy because i applied to this stuff