Poll

Should I get a new graphics card?

Yes!
4 (100%)
The one you have will do the trick
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Just got a new 240hz 3D TV  (Read 1534 times)

Just because your eyes can receive light beyond 60 or 70fps does not mean that your brain can tell the difference between 60-70fps and 240fps. That's a common misconception.

IDK MAN its a complicated topic. i for one can definitely tell the difference between 60 and 240fps.

as for general sakes, idk if the brain legit cant tell or it just doesnt care enough to tell or it does tell but some weird effect is going on
and i aint lenient on learning why either

IDK MAN its a complicated topic. i for one can definitely tell the difference between 60 and 240fps.

as for general sakes, idk if the brain legit cant tell or it just doesnt care enough to tell or it does tell but some weird effect is going on
and i aint lenient on learning why either
How do you know that you can tell the difference in the first place? when I look at something that's in 60fps it looks perfectly smooth and fluid. I've not seen anything in true 240fps, so describe it to me.

People also have problems with too low of a refresh rate. If you stare at a 20 or 10 hz for too long, you'll get headaches and eye strain.
Films are recorded and played at 24fps
I've never heard people complain about headaches or eye strain after watching one

heres a simple test to try out
play at 500fps on your 500hz monitor for a week straight

the consoles right now play things at 900p
It depends on the game. Some output 1080p @ 60fps, some 720p @ 30fps, many inbetweens
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:42:27 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

How do you know that you can tell the difference in the first place? when I look at something that's in 60fps it looks perfectly smooth and fluid. I've not seen anything in true 240fps, so describe it to me.
i have not seen true 240fps either but ive seen true 120fps and its more smooth and fluid than 60fps. therefore i conclude that 240 is even more smoother
idk how far this smoothness can go

i have not seen true 240fps either but ive seen true 120fps and its more smooth and fluid than 60fps. therefore i conclude that 240 is even more smoother
idk how far this smoothness can go
The only way to tell for sure is to do something like play a game at 240fps and 60fps, and try to see if there's a difference. I really don't trust the TV companies, test images aren't the same thing as an actual live game. I guess I can't really speak on the matter then until I actually try it out..

I've never heard people complain about headaches or eye strain after watching one
refresh rate and frame rate are two different things

Refresh rate =/= Frames per Second

Refresh rate is the rate in which the screen refreshes all of the pixels on the screen

refresh rate and frame rate are two different things
If you have a 24Hz monitor and play a 24fps movie on it, it'll be the same as if you had a 240Hz monitor and played a 24fps movie. If one bothers your eyes, the other will too.
They're different but in the context of headcrab's post, they both have the same effect.

If you have a 24Hz monitor and play a 24fps movie on it, it'll be the same as if you had a 240Hz monitor and played a 24fps movie. If one bothers your eyes, the other will too.
They're different but in the context of headcrab's post, they both have the same effect.

Refresh rate will give you headaches...

Low fps won't... it'll look weird, but it won't give you headaches.

dont monitors extend low fps if their hz is higher?
like 120fps on 240hz the monitor will double frames so you got two of the same frame?

Refresh rate will give you headaches...

Low fps won't... it'll look weird, but it won't give you headaches.
I know people personally who have gotten headaches from getting a low FPS in certain games.

I know people personally who have gotten headaches from getting a low FPS in certain games.

They must be pretty motion/light sensitive then.

I have a 144hz monitor and I can guarantee you that there is a VERY visible difference from 60hz.
Windows has poor support for anything above 60hz though so I get a bunch of "artifacts" from Windows failing to clear buffer stuffs.

Added a poll, since everyone went off topic.