Author Topic: trog removed the adware (hooray)  (Read 731 times)

you know when you click too fast downloading something and it asks if you would also "like to try" (name bullcrap here)???
yeah unfortunately it sneaked up on me on the very last prompt to download (there was already another prompt asking if i wanted to download some other extension.) usually i know where this stuff likes to hide and I can remove it fast, which I did. But it also seems to be stored somewhere else deep in my computer

heres some pictures of it

(when i click on it)

so far it hasn't bothered me, it only comes up if I press ctrl + shift + z which popped up on first start up
now i found a folder in appdata/local/StormAlert but all it is is a file called data2.dat which if i delete it, the first time run up prompt shows again

(on first start up)

so i am aching to get rid of this since i've been in a battle with stuff like this on my moms computer and seeing it on my own desktop makes me angry. I would ignore it if i didn't have such a huge grudge with malware

I've been looking this up everywhere and they keep telling me to "uninstall it from control panel" and "download malwarebytes" but i know for infact uninstalling it wont work (there isnt even a control panel option) and im pretty sure malwarebytes wont detect it
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:24:21 PM by Trogtor »

Looks like the best you can do without taking your computer in is to just turn it off and try to forget about it

you might as well try malwarebytes at least

you might as well try malwarebytes at least
yeah ill make an effort but if it doesnt work im removing malware bytes too cause tbh i don't want a bunch of programs on my computer

[irony]i mean i'm not stupid enough to download viruses[/irony]

Malware bytes is like the god of all anti-viruses. There was a virus that said the FBI closed my bro's computer because he had CP.

Run in safe mode, install malware bytes, run, done.

Malware bytes is like the god of all anti-viruses. There was a virus that said the FBI closed my bro's computer because he had CP.

Run in safe mode, install malware bytes, run, done.
my step dad got this on his phone

though i couldnt do anything to fix it so we just turned it in and got a new one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YDNmyyrEZho#t=10
OP's mom in a nutshell

is the program in the startup folder perhaps? try removing it if so.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:50:41 PM by -Setro- »

This is adware, not malware.

Malwarebytes is only good for removing malware, hence the name.

Also 'harmless malware' is an oxymoron. The point of malware is to cause harm, hence the name 'malicious software'.

This is adware, not malware.

Malwarebytes is only good for removing malware, hence the name.

Also 'harmless malware' is an oxymoron. The point of malware is to cause harm, hence the name 'malicious software'.
considering it didnt show adds i didnt really think of it as adware, but actually i did star to see them double underlined highlighted words on other websites which in no way am i dealing with that

gonna try to remove it right now

you don't want weather updates from 2004??

considering it didnt show adds i didnt really think of it as adware, but actually i did star to see them double underlined highlighted words on other websites which in no way am i dealing with that

gonna try to remove it right now

It would still be classed as adware.

Anyways, try AdwCleaner.

It would still be classed as adware.

Anyways, try AdwCleaner.
so far malwarebytes is picking up something

if it isnt it then ill try that since its an actual adware cleaner

coolio, it worked.

no folder popping up in appdata/local after removal so im guessing its gone.

celebration for such a success

also malware bytes managed to clean the temp of other stuff i accidentally downloaded a while back when i first got my computer (the actual programs themself i removed manually and never seen them ever again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YDNmyyrEZho#t=10
OP's mom in a nutshell

is the program in the startup folder perhaps? try removing it if so.
that video isn't avaiable in canada
what the forget

Install and run "AdwCleaner".

Just do it even though you seemed to clean it.