Author Topic: Need help with Xubuntu[Linux] on a Chromebook (Audio Problem)  (Read 885 times)

I'm too lazy to create an account for one of those Linux forums, and I know there are some people here who might be able to help me

So I recently installed Linux on a Chromebook (Acer C720) that I have, and a first the audio was working perfectly, but recently it stopped working (I guess it was after an update) and I've literally tried everything to get it to work (I'm a newbie when it comes to Linux, so most of the time I had no idea what I was doing)

Anyway, I tried opening up a sound mixer, and it said "Gstreamer was unable to detect any sound devices. Some sound system specific Gstreamer packages may be missing. It may also be a permissions problem"

I tried typing in the 'aplay -l' command, and it said that no soundcards were found, but my system detected the sound cards when I typed in 'sudo aplay -l'

Also the audio works perfectly on Chrome OS, my only problem is with Xubuntu (I'm using version 14.04.1 LTS)

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Pulseaudio, and ALSA, and that didn't do anything, when I type in 'alsamix' in the terminal it says "CRAS client wouldn't connect"

I looked it up and no one seems to have the exact same problem I am having. I have tried everything I could, and nothing has worked so far. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do to get the audio back on Xubuntu???? (Be specific because I'm a noob when it comes to Linux)

"CRAS client wouldn't connect"
That means alsa isn't running because Xubuntu uses pulseaudio.

Did you upgrade from a previous version of Xubuntu, or was it just a normal update?

That means alsa isn't running because Xubuntu uses pulseaudio.

Did you upgrade from a previous version of Xubuntu, or was it just a normal update?
Upgraded from a previous version

bump. Anyone got any ideas


http://askubuntu.com/questions/450531/no-sound-after-upgrade-from-xubuntu-13-10-to-14-04

Does this match your problem?
No

But I figured that because I had messed with the terminal so much that something had gotten messed up, and it was pretty much permanently damaged, so I uninstalled Xubuntu and I installed KDE instead, and I like it better. It works fine now. Thanks though