Author Topic: Moving my steam folder to another drive?  (Read 718 times)

So, basically, I want to move my MAIN steam folder to my other drive, since I need more space on my main drive. No, not the steamapps folder, the actual steam folder, the one in Program Files X86. I want to figure out a way to move it to my second partition without loving everything up. That is all.

wouldn't that forget up things

I did a complete format and saved it on an external HD i'm 100% sure it will not forget up the stuff. probably will need some basic reinstalls (not games, it happened to me because formating I guess) but yeah, it works.

there's like 15 youtube tutorials come on
google before you ask

there's like 15 youtube tutorials come on
google before you ask
No need to be a bitch, especially after the question was already answered.

It may work, but breaks a ton of linking in the Windows registry.

It may work, but breaks a ton of linking in the Windows registry.
so what would you advise instead

so what would you advise instead
backup all of your games with steam's backup feature, uninstall steam, reinstall steam on the other drive, then restore the backups there

Quick google brought up this:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

I guess Steam has some tools in it to re-link everything if Steam is moved.
Fun.

Disregard what I said, that only applies if you move programs that don't self-repair like I guess Steam does.

EDIT: Badspot whitelisted steam
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:38:39 AM by ZSNO »

backup all of your games with steam's backup feature, uninstall steam, reinstall steam on the other drive, then restore the backups there
All my steam games are already on the other drive in a separate folder.
EDIT: Badspot whitelisted steam
?

?
Normally any URL with "ref=" will trigger a filter saying "Referral link detected. Kill yourself." but apparently not steam

Normally any URL with "ref=" will trigger a filter saying "Referral link detected. Kill yourself." but apparently not steam
mk