Author Topic: Reached bottomprint character limit  (Read 829 times)

I'm making a display in bottomprint for a mod, but I think I've reached the max character count. Is there any way around it?
I tried putting some of the display in centerprint with a bunch of line breaks to make it lower, but it couldn't go low enough.

no way around it
reconsider what your trying to accomplish and try to slim it down

alternatively create a client gui to handle whatever you are trying to do
however everyone needs to download it to see that then

What are you trying to display? You could split the display into multiple messages that cycle through

Yea it sucks! I know the feeling. Post what you printing trying to do maybe you can shorten it.

The maximum length of a string sent between a Torque server and client is 255 bytes, because length is represented as a single unsigned byte.  Because Torque represents characters as strictly byte-for-byte, this means that the maximum length of a string is also 255 characters.  There are many ways around this, absolutely none of which will work for code which needs to be server-side only.  If a client-sided GUI is not an option, then your only option is reduce the length of your string - try replacing <color> tags with \c tags instead.

You can use a tagged string to reduce the amount of data that must be sent every time.

You can use a tagged string to reduce the amount of data that must be sent every time.
never understood exactly how these work to use these
examples? mods that use them properly?

I'm pretty sure bottomprint doesn't do tagged strings. At least not with %s

never understood exactly how these work to use these
examples? mods that use them properly?
The chat itself.
'\c7%1\c3%2\c7%3\c6: %4',%client.clanprefix,%client.name,%client.clansuffix,%msg

If there's any case where the same message or format is going to be sent again and again, you would use a tagged string.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 06:47:37 PM by Shift Kitty »