Author Topic: I've started writing again, thoughts?  (Read 1336 times)

Hello all. I've began to write again after a while of not writing, partly due to lack of motivation and partly due to other issues taking precedence. Today I resolved to write an autobiographical piece. It's certainly not polished, and I am more than certainly rusty, but I'd like to show it to you  to hear your thoughts. Without further ado, here is the first section of what I've got.

Una Mariposa

I’d first met what was to be the first and last of a dynasty in my 8th Grade first period English class. Esther had captivated me from the moment my eyes made the first contact to when my fingertips made the last. She was small in stature, standing at just under five feet tall. I was taller at the time, but also much heavier, partly due to athletics and partly due to sheer stupidity.

The first detail about her that struck me was her hair. It was draped about her head as a curtain of black silk, neatly combed each day. She carried herself with the mannerisms of a wounded deer. She limped; she would flee at the first sight of a predator on the same four legs. I was enthralled by the way she carried the burdens of her backpack and her conscience.

While I did feel a particular attraction to her, we only spoke briefly in passing. She was very quiet, but enthusiastic; she would begin to speak at such a pace that I pictured tiny engineers inside her skull throwing coal into a burner, shouting “Faster! We need more heat!”

From speaking with her I was able to discern that her parents were immigrants and her home life was not good. We bonded over our experiences of terrible parenting, as though it were some perverse common interest.

The next year, which was to be my Freshman year of high school, she reached out to me. We began to speak more regularly, and before I knew it, we would see each other regularly. These initial ‘dates’ were not particularly serious. We would find a suitable location and sit, preferably on the ground. We spoke of our lives. I used the opportunity to get to know her better. She opened the floodgates of her heart. She pulled out all the stitches holding it shut, and I stood directly in the path of the waves.

She was scarred tremendously, on her skin and her soul. Her memory was selective. She would choose to forget the details of traumatic experiences, but the one thing she never forgot was the pain. She would ask to be held, and I would oblige. I believe I have an innate ability to smell out the wounded, and in that moment, I’d found her and taken care of her. For a time, I was happy. We were happy. But she was to me a butterfly, captive in a jar. I could not set her free. I knew if I were to keep her, she would die. But I didn’t care about that, not then. All I cared about was the warmth between my arms with its head resting on my chest.

whoa this stuff is good
nice

whoa this stuff is good
nice
Thank you. I don't believe it's very polished at the moment, but I'll refine it later. It's still in the "vomit-on-paper" phase, as a teacher I had called it.

-Reserved for 2nd part-

reminds me of my writing style
keep up the good work

keep up the good work
Thank you. I've finished the second part of what I'd like to share, and I'd be curious to hear some thoughts.

As Tolstoy once wrote, every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. I’ve found that this often holds true. Esther’s health declined as a result of her unhappy family’s particular method of misery. Each laugh seemed more strained; each smile showed fewer teeth. It was as though she were a flower that had closed its petals back into a bud.

Her demeanor had changed as well, becoming quieter. She was neither nearly as captivating nor enthralling as she was before.

When we would see each other, she only wanted to be held. She often would not say a single word to me. Despite this, I could tell she found solace and comfort with me. I tried my best to make her time enjoyable until she had to return home to matriarchal misery.

Esther had taken a particular liking to the beach at this stage of our time together. She enjoyed sitting on the sand, on the edge of the line where the earth changed from wet to dry. We watched the waves roll in and hoped the fog would roll out. She would look out longingly over the Sound. It was almost as if she were studying the surface, judging its depth to swim away from her troubles at home. I frequently offered her a safe place to stay as long as she needed, but she refused. Her constitution was as strong as the churning waves in front of us, and as is the sea, she was much deeper and hid much within her that I could not see.

For the time, I was simply content to hold her and watch the gulls play, circling above.

When Esther was home, she would often call me on the phone. She would assure me that nothing at all was wrong. She’d say she was just calling because she wanted to hear me. Her tone was often content, but I could sense an underlying, unwavering melancholy.

These calls often ended the same way. I would tell her I loved her, and to call me if she needed anything. She always followed the offer with, “You promise?” She thought I didn’t know at the time, but I knew she wanted reassurance of the first point, more so than the second. I always gave her that reassurance. She would hang up the phone after reciprocating, and I’d often question whether she would be okay. This became our daily ritual, with the sacrifice of a part of my conscience that I still have not recovered, two years to the day that I had seen her for the last time. This was okay. We were okay. Everything was okay.

keep up the good work

this

bumping. I wrote something today while sitting in a waiting room. I don't write much poetry any more, so I have no idea if it's any good. I'm not good at judging the quality of my own work.

Venom
In defiance
against reason
I tell myself
one more

To be able to fly
I have to pay
The fee for my baggage
one more

I am the Alpha
the Omega
and I shall give to him
one more

If only I knew
I'd become Theseus' ship
I wouldn't allow
one more

One more drink
One more sting
One more loss
no more.

Bravo! It's good! 👍🏼

Bravo! It's good! 👍🏼
Thank you.

I mostly write to vent/if I'm feeling in an unusual way. I don't know how to describe it. After I finish putting something down on the paper, I don't have much of a clue if it's something worth refining or just angry nonsense.

I used to do a lot of writing but not nearly so much any more. I'm trying to get back into it, though, and I'd like to improve my work.

I'd say that it needs refining as far as flow.  While reading those it feels like I've metaphorically arrived at a stage and then am continually taken to the next and following without much of a reason why.  Within the OP, you go back and forth between describing her physical characteristics and her more introspective characteristics.  As a reader, I am looking for a reference point.  And while I can see that your perspective as the writer was the process of coming to know and understand her, there was no defined progression from the unfamiliar to the familiar, and it seems more like a summary of her personality and appearance with a superimposed timescale.  Since you are the observer within the writing from the first-person view, you must make us observers to a story that has never before become familiar.

Additionally, I might add that this may be more of a taste preference, but I'd like to see it be melancholy by the observations.  Perhaps it's because I tend to lean on perception beforehand, but I like to see the reasons why rather than the reasons themselves.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:29:21 AM by SWAT One »