Author Topic: Anybody have experience with Blacksmithing/Metalwork?  (Read 2338 times)

Hey Bluetooth, how the forget do you weld aluminum? The AlO3 layer forms too fast to be able to get anything done other than holes. I ended up using ratchets to finish what I was doing.
Haven't done much welding, but I do know that you gotta have it turned down and move quickly for aluminum. I'm more of a nuts and bolts kinda guy. ;)

Does building this (frame is aluminum) count?

yeah if you take a bunch of iron ingots out of the furnace at once you get some experience its pretty nice

a little, I done some aluminium melting with lots of cans in an old coke fire we used to have at our old house, and also I've beaten a handle made using a mild steel bar, heat it until it was red hot and beat it into shape on an anvil

next year I'm taking metalwork so I should be doing a LOT more

Seems like I could buy steel sheet metal online for around £15 for 500mm X 500mm.

Side note, looks like aluminium cans are a good source of aluminium (because we're students, the amount of beer cans we throw in the recycling will be sufficient)
If I melt some down it'd save me from buying aluminium. Although I'd prefer to work with steel since welding aluminium is dumb.
Idea came from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F0jZrFDhcY

I've built most of my smithing stuff out of things from the hardware store except for my anvil which was made of an old rail tie. I've made a few broadswords though a lot of them don't have the finish that a master craftsman would make. The most difficult piece i've made was a chest plate for an armor set which i had to harden using temperature techniques.

I've built most of my smithing stuff out of things from the hardware store except for my anvil which was made of an old rail tie. I've made a few broadswords though a lot of them don't have the finish that a master craftsman would make. The most difficult piece i've made was a chest plate for an armor set which i had to harden using temperature techniques.

Can we see some photos of all of these? Sounds pretty cool.

I know a lot of Americans use railroad spikes and plates, unfortunately for me, there's pretty much nowhere where I could go to find an open part of track to get onto. They're pretty much all fenced off. Looks like I'll have to buy an anvil.