Author Topic: [NEWS] Marty O'Donnell's "Music of the Spheres" Finally Leaked Publicly  (Read 1310 times)

This is an important day in Bungie/Destiny history. Even if you have no interest in either, the music, story and exposure should take your fancy.

Music of the Spheres has finally been leaked in its original form to the public.

Listen Link: Soundcloud Link
Detail Link: Reddit Post
News Article: Kotaku Article; Four Years Later, Destiny's Music Of The Spheres Has Leaked

Music of the Spheres was an audio project commissioned by Bungie to composers Marty O'Donnell, Martin Salvatori and Paul McCartney to influence the music and storyline for the game that would become Destiny. Martin O'Donnell intended it to be an audio companion/prequel to the game. 8 tracks were produced, each representing a planet/location and a musical note/key.

Track 1: The Path    –>    The Moon    –>    C
Track 2: The Union    –>    Mercury    –>    D
Track 3: The Ruin    –>    Venus    –>    E
Track 4: The Tribulation    –>    The Sun    –>    F sharp
Track 5: The Rose    –>    Mars    –>    G
Track 6: The Ecstasy    –>    Jupiter    –>    A
Track 7: The Prison    –>    Saturn    –>    B flat
Track 8: The Hope    –>    The Traveller    –>    C

As Reddit user Orphaeus points out:

Guys. Look at the keys the different pieces are in, in order.

C D E F# G A Bb C

Those notes make a lydian-mixolyidian, or lydian dominant scale. It was discovered a long time ago over in r/raidsecrets that this is the scale the oracles in the Vault of Glass play when they spawn (each oracle plays a specific note, together they make the scale). It was also noted that several pieces from the D1 soundtrack used this scale. Now we know that the Music of the Spheres itself is built around it.

During development of Destiny, Marty was also tasked to produce the music for all of the trailers, just as he had done for all previous Bungie games in his tenure. Due to a decision by Activision, however, the music for the Live Action trailer was swapped from an original and fantasy composition to Immigrant Song. Fuming, and after an unsuccessful attempt to appeal to decision by then Bungie CEO Harold Ryan, O'Donnell threatened several staff members during E3 to not post the the trailer onto YouTube. Marty was eventually terminated and successfully sued the company over contract-related breaches.

While parts of the compositions have been used in both Destiny and Destiny 2, the full experience was never made available to the public as Marty had intended. Only 100 people were even given advance copies, and due to the legal battles between Bungie and Marty, the original tracks were not publicly released. Several fan attempts were made at restoring the Music of the Spheres, but mostly involved crappy remakes by chopping bits out of trailers and guesswork.

This leak of the official, original and correct compositions has received a nod of approval by Marty O'Donnell, who later sent this email to Kotaku reporter Jason Schreier;

I’m quite relieved and happy. This was the way it was supposed to have been heard 5 years ago.

My wife and I spent the afternoon with my now 93 year old father and we showed him that people were finally able to hear this work. It made our Christmas even better. My mother, his wife of over 60 years died a couple years ago and although she loved listening and shared it with some of her friends (she was a musician) she never understood why it wasn’t released.

I don’t know who actually did it but they have my blessing. I honestly don’t know how anyone could begrudge this any longer.

The only official response from Bungie at this point has been DeeJ unfollowing the leaker on Twitter. It is expected that Activision or Bungie will take moves to remove the content from Google Drive, MEGA and various other fileshare sites/P2P networks.

This music is absolutely beautiful. Enjoy, my friends.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:01:31 AM by McJob »

Really cool tracks. The Ectasy especially is a uniquely great song. Tribulation is the most generic.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:20:07 AM by McZealot »

merry mfing christmas

holy stuff

is there anything in a higher quality format or is there just the MP3s

Master chief.... what are u doing with that ost?

is there anything in a higher quality format or is there just the MP3s
i would also like to know. this music is loving great

sir

finishing this game

ummm

you mind telling me what ur doing with that ost*

nerd