Author Topic: does anyone here have any experience with the g27/g29 racing wheels/pedals?  (Read 613 times)

i've been thinking about getting either one of these in hopes it'll aid me to work out my fear of driving.

i've listed both the g27 and g29 because apparently it uses the same pedals.

if anyone has one of these, i'd like to know a few things:

are the pedals gradual (as in brown townog, not a simple on/off trigger)? does the wheel have the same degree of rotation as an actual car? the same stiffness when turned?

asking before i spend $200+ on this.

i've been thinking about getting either one of these in hopes it'll aid me to work out my fear of driving.

i've listed both the g27 and g29 because apparently it uses the same pedals.

if anyone has one of these, i'd like to know a few things:

are the pedals gradual (as in brown townog, not a simple on/off trigger)? does the wheel have the same degree of rotation as an actual car? the same stiffness when turned?

asking before i spend $200+ on this.
1: yes the pedals are gradual, but they're a basic poteniometer setup with a single spring, so not that high tech.
2: the wheel is programmable from 90-900 dregrees using the profiler, same with the weight it can go from verylight to stupidly-heavy

I have a first run G27 (2009-ish) and it still somehow works which is impressive considering I most likely have quad-digit hours logged on it (although I did swap out the pedals to a higher-end fanatec set about 3-4 years ago due to some wire issues). The two biggest issue the G27's have is a lack of feedback when the wheel is centered (not that huge of a deal once you get everything set right tbh) and the optical encoders will develop hairline cracks in it which will make the wheel think it's centered when it's not (mine never did this, but I did have to glue it in place because it started slipping on the shaft).
AFAIK the G29 is the same internally as the G27 but I have no way of knowing if they still suffer from the same encoder problems.

1: yes the pedals are gradual, but they're a basic poteniometer setup with a single spring, so not that high tech.
2: the wheel is programmable from 90-900 dregrees using the profiler, same with the weight it can go from verylight to stupidly-heavy

I have a first run G27 (2009-ish) and it still somehow works which is impressive considering I most likely have quad-digit hours logged on it (although I did swap out the pedals to a higher-end fanatec set about 3-4 years ago due to some wire issues). The two biggest issue the G27's have is a lack of feedback when the wheel is centered (not that huge of a deal once you get everything set right tbh) and the optical encoders will develop hairline cracks in it which will make the wheel think it's centered when it's not (mine never did this, but I did have to glue it in place because it started slipping on the shaft).
AFAIK the G29 is the same internally as the G27 but I have no way of knowing if they still suffer from the same encoder problems.

i would assume the g29 is an improved model over the g27? i also read about an issue with the pedals about stiffness, but i could probably adjust that if needed, right?

Ya the pedals themselves are just a plastic housing with a spring inside so it's really easy to change out. I think with mine I ended putting a smaller spring inside the main one so it sort of had a "progessive" feel.

yeah i got the gt driving force which is the poor mans g27/g29. i think it's almost 10 years old now, still provides fantastic force feedback but i feel the motor is gradually on the way out.

most real life cars are 1000+ plus with their degrees of rotation, obviously these wheels only have up to 900 degrees. however to be honest it deffo feels real enough.

also, most "race cars" for lack of a better word tend to have much less than 900 degrees, as this amount is not very responsive, and if you want to go fast with 900 degrees you're gonna be smacking it about like the wheel of a pirate ship in the middle of high winds. with these wheels, the degrees of rotation is completely customizable up to 900 degrees, which you can set up on a per game basis. my preference is 540 degrees for racing, but hey that's me.