Author Topic: A thought.  (Read 1024 times)

I had a thought.

Think if none of us had noses. Like, smelling never existed on humans or animals but that was the only difference between that reality and this one; there was absolutely no concept of smell.

Now, do you think that we would label the chemicals that come off of objects that give it a smell as being something that we cannot sense?

I feel like I'm doing a poor job explaining this. We have invented machines that can sense things that humans cannot. For example, humans cannot sense ionizing radiation with our bodies, that is why we invented the Geiger counter. Even though humans cannot sense radiation naturally, we know that objects can have properties that release radiation.

Now, back on topic. If we could not smell anything, nor could animals, nor could anything, how could we even frame smell as something that could be sensed? It would be like things still gave off odor, but we had no way of even conceptualizing that it actually occurred since both animals and us couldn't sense it.

Applying this to our life, could it be that, for example, radiation is specifically related to a sense that humans and animals don't have, and therefore have no way of knowing what it was used for? Like if we didn't have eyes, but still have a way of detecting different wavelengths of radiation, and found some objects to reflect different wavelengths, would we even be able to realize that if we had eyes we could see?

I have a much deeper question to counter with that question: If no one could smell and someone farted, would the fart exist?

Yes, stupid.

Also this thought is pointless go to bed.

Well i've had a cold for the past 2 weeks and haven't been able to smell ANYTHING, i know what it's like :c

Better question:

If a tree falls in a forest and crushes a squirrel, who does PETA blame?

Better question:

If a tree falls in a forest and crushes a squirrel, who does PETA blame?
the tree of course dumbutt  :cookieMonster:

If a tree falls on a woman in the forest, one must wonder:

What's a kitchen doing in the forest?

I lol'd so hard.

I love you

What if there is a color we cant see, and its outside the color scheme.

When will the Human race conquer the Universe and know everything about it? Would we get bored of existing?

What is our next evolution stage?

Is there another Universe somewhere out there that we can't see because it is too far away? What secrets will it hold?

Is there an ancient artifact still on Mars under all of that sand and red rust?

Even if we made a machine to sense chemicals in the air similar to how noses do, the chemicals would be known to us in the form of readable information, not odor.

Think about your Geiger example.  If we could feel radiation, I'm sure it would be very tingly and painful.  Now, since we can't, we have an instrument to tell us if there is radiation.  It doesn't tell us by making us feel a painful, tingling sensation, but by beeping at us obnoxiously.

With that, if we could not smell we would not know of odor.  Taste and odor are much different than sight, like you tried to make an example out of in your last paragraph.  If you were to group the senses, it would most likely be taste and odor, then sight, sound, and touch.