Author Topic: science experiment  (Read 2015 times)

The salt makes ice freeze at a lower temperature, keeping it from melting as fast, I did this in kindergarten and remember it :/ You put ice and salt in a bag and then put a bag with all the ice cream materials inside that bag and just slam it around a lot. The problem with the salt is even if the bags are sealed perfectly the salt permeates into the ice cream through the bag still and gives it a weird salty kick.

Let me emphasize that the salt is merely to keep the ice solid for longer while you make the ice cream, it doesn't really have a direct effect on the ice cream.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:23:27 PM by Visage »

So, basically, you couldn't do the experiment correctly, tried to find out the results from people who did, and since that didn't work now you are asking us?

I giggled because you're talking about doing science correctly.

Salt makes liquids colder during the freezing process.
This.

Salt makes the ice melt quicker, it's the same reason they put salt on the roads when it's about to snow. The thing is, in order to make the ice melt, energy must be taken from surrounding. So basically it rapidly takes energy (heat) away from the other materials for the ice cream.

We did this in the 2nd grade or so, it was the best ice cream I ever had.

Same.

i guess i was wrong.

Then again, I wasn't at school when we did this experiment.

Salt makes the ice melt quicker, it's the same reason they put salt on the roads when it's about to snow. The thing is, in order to make the ice melt, energy must be taken from surrounding. So basically it rapidly takes energy (heat) away from the other materials for the ice cream.

It's the opposite, they put salt on the roads to stop the ice from melting, solid ice is a lot better than slush in a car, salt makes ice melt at 10 degrees higher so it can stay solid. They also put salt up in the mountains at ski resorts to make it unarguable that salt does not melt ice, because why would ski resorts be trying to melt their snow faster?

It's the opposite, they put salt on the roads to stop the ice from melting, solid ice is a lot better than slush in a car, salt makes ice melt at 10 degrees higher so it can stay solid. They also put salt up in the mountains at ski resorts to make it unarguable that salt does not melt ice, because why would ski resorts be trying to melt their snow faster?
Put salt on an icy sidewalk and watch it melt.

Also, you could have just googled this: http://science.howstuffworks.com/road-salt.htm